Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two new tanks I am going to be setting up shortly. I have a dilemma, a good one though. I'm trying to decide what I should put in each. One of them will be used for my all male colony I already have in a 110 tall and the other will be for frontosa and a few other tangs. The only question is, which tank do I use each for?

Will the frontosa benefit from the extra height the 150 offers? The 150 should have slightly better filtration with a 1000gph pump and a huge sump where the 125 will have a canister and two HOBs. The tanks have the same foot print but the 150 is roughly 5" taller. What would you do and why?

Looking for opinions. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I would suggest the frontosa for the taller tank. Simply because you are not likely to have to retrieve fish nearly as often in comparison to the all male setup.

Frontosa I think prefer a darker tank. The depth should help in the lighting not being so bright at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what you're saying is I can go cheap on the lighting? :lol:

That's what I've been leaning towards, especially since I already have them and the front tank still needs a stand and miscellaneous parts that are on order, plus fish. The 125 is ready to go once I move some tanks around. I still like to hear what people have to say. Food for thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree, fronts in the 150, Big fish = big bio load so the extra water volume can't hurt. You could use the 125 with a bigger sump to get the same result, but the fronts may feel a little more secure in the bigger tank too.

·
2,088 Posts
I thought I replied to this yesterday, but apparently the post was eaten.

IMO, put the fronts in the shorter tank. I had fronts in a 150 for years, and the top 6-8" of the tank ALWAYS looked empty. They look much better in the 180 they currently reside in.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, an opposing view point. Thanks nodima.

·
2,088 Posts
Heh - as much as I love to be a contrarian for no reason, this time there was a reason! The other concerns extra water/filtration etc are all easily addressed by upping the sump size if it matters.

Tough dilemma nevertheless - two large tanks to fill!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm gonna put the Fronts in the 150 still. I plan to keep a few other Tangs with them, calvus, compressiceps, and maybe some cyps. I don't know much about Tangs yet....would any of these help fill the top of the tank?

·
2,088 Posts
I have not found a Tang which will fill the top of the tank AND be compatible with Fronts. Cyps are probably the closest fish, but they are the natural prey for the Fronts, so as the fronts grow, you may lose Cyps. BTDT.

Most of the other Tangs will tend to hover around rocks in the tank and don't generally cover the top of the tank. I finally decided to go the giant Danio route. Not perfect, and I have lost some, but they do add motion at the top.

Calvus and Comps are good tank mates for Fronts, many people keep them together. You might take a look at the Frontosa forum here, as well as do searches at Cyphos. The question of what species are compatible comes up frequently.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's right. I knew that about cyps/fronts.

I guess the 125 might be the better Tang tank. My all male haps/peacocks have done a nice job filling up the top of the 110 tall (30") I have, so maybe thats what I need to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts