Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i have 120g African cichlid tank and i was wondering if i should add a power head in it for water flow i currently have 1 eheim 2075 1 eheim 2028 and 1 emperor 400 running on it and was wondering if a power head would be a good thing for current around the bottom of the tank just looking for ideas before i go ahead and order them

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I always have at least one power head running on my tank (75g). Really seems to help to stir the waste up and get it to the filters and not to mention the fishes seem to love playing in the current.

I sit back and watch them swim up close to the PH and then "ride" the current across the tank only to go back and do it again. :popcorn:

·
Registered
572 Posts
O yeah powerheads would be good,I have 2 power heads.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Love 'em. Started with 3 Maxi-jet 1200's (295 gph each) in my 75g. I liked how they worked so well I ditched the air pump and put 1 Maxijet 900 (230 gph) in my old 38, and when I built my 20L, I put in a Maxi-jet 600 (160gph). Some models (including the Maxi-jets) have foam prefilters designed to connect to the intake. I use prefilters on all of them and it really helps with the filtration. Just rinse them every couple of weeks and enjoy sparkling clear water and happy fish!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses sounds like ill be getting some power heads for that tank and see how i like them and possibly get them for my other tanks as well

·
Registered
572 Posts
Bungalowdan said:
Love 'em. Started with 3 Maxi-jet 1200's (295 gph each) in my 75g. I liked how they worked so well I ditched the air pump and put 1 Maxijet 900 (230 gph) in my old 38, and when I built my 20L, I put in a Maxi-jet 600 (160gph). Some models (including the Maxi-jets) have foam prefilters designed to connect to the intake. I use prefilters on all of them and it really helps with the filtration. Just rinse them every couple of weeks and enjoy sparkling clear water and happy fish!
so u use them as pre filter also,I never try that one,thanks for the heads up :fish:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well got the power heads in they didn't come with a pre -filter and my lfs didn't have any so i made some out of an aqua clear sponge. fish seem to enjoy the current they produce. ill probably go off to home depot and get some PVC and convert them into ugfs. my only question is how much heat does one of the maxi jet 1200s put off just curious. thanks again for the quick responses you all put up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts