Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting my 120g former saltwater tank into a cichlid tank. I'm reusing the aragonite sand and the rock, so there will be plenty of structure. It's a 4'x2'x2' 120g tank. I'm in the middle of a fishless cycle and plan on stocking it all at once from a mail order source.

My possible stock list of 1.5" juveniles:
10- Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleus)
18- Maingano (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos)
10- Red Zebra (Metriaclima estherae (Red))
10- Exasperatus (Labidochromis joanjohnsonae)
5- Cuckoo catfish (Synodontis Multipunctatus)

The goal being to establish one male to four females for all the cichlids except the Maingano. I'll keep the best looking male and any females.

The final stock list after I swap out some males will probably be around 25 cichlids and the 5 catfish. I'm not planning on keeping any of the fry (hence the catfish).

Are there any concerns about these fish with each other? What about the total number of fish?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
The labs and zebras will cross breed, I would choose one or the other. Not sure about the 2 Labidochromis species crossbreeding.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Welcome to C-F

An alternative to the Red Zebra would be Metriaclima Callanois. Same profile but a solid powder blue. Or a barred species, which is not on your list. There's so many that are readily available.

I realize you have no desire to keep fry. Best to avoid the likelihood of hybridization all together, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really interested in keeping the Red Zebra. Would replacing the yellow labs with Pseudotropheus saulosi remedy the hybrid issues?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts