Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to cichlids - the only one I have is a male krib (who thinks he is a tiger barb). I'm in the research phase of setting up a 120 gallon (4' x 2' x2') Malawi tank, and the "cookie cutter" section didn't address this size. I would like (I think) to have P. acei, L. caeruleus, and P. saulosi (my favorite so far). Assuming this mix is OK, how many of each? Could you recommend another species or two (with numbers) to "fill out" the tank in terms of color, variety, etc? Do any haps or peacocks work in this setup? (I'm not looking for trouble)

Thanks!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Labs and female saulosi look pretty much the same.

You could drop the labs and go- Ps. Acei, Ps. Saulosi, and M. Estherae.

Or you could drop saulosi and go- Ps. Acei, Ps. Demasoni (monomorphic with all looking very similar to male saulosi), and Labs.

I'm not positive on numbers, but with demasoni, to end up with the right ratio, you'd want to get like 20-25. Or you could get more if you wanted a larger colony.

As juveniles, you could start with 40 fish and then as they grow tweak your numbers to around 30ish.

You could try a 4th in a 4' tank, maybe Cyno sp. Hara? Ps. socofoli? I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Joel - You don't think that there would be potential cross-breeding issues with Acei and demasoni or Acei and saulosi?

I only ask because I have groups of these three (white tail acei) and would like to combine 2 of them. Not trying to thread-jack, but that would be great if I could mix them....

·
Registered
625 Posts
You run the risk of crossbreeding with any mbuna but from what I understand it's more prevalent when you confuse the fish or keep stag males with breeding groups. Like if you had saulosi males with females and labs.

As long as you present them with enough females of there own that they are programed to want, it shouldn't be a problem.

Another member here described it as a bar. If you only like blondes and there are tons of blondes, you're not going to even look at the redheads. But if there is no blondes you might find yourself looking at the redheads and brunettes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lol. Thanks man. I appreciate it. :)

I'm more of a hap/peacock guy and judiciously mix breeding groups of non-similar haps and peacocks. That whole Pseudotropheus/Metriaclima/Tropheops group just confuses me though.

Tony

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the look of the demasoni, but after reading lots of posts I'm a bit hesitant - lots of bad experiences (mainly, they kill each other). Do you attribute that to operator error (inadequate numbers, etc.) or is that just how it goes with them? Have you had good luck with them? Would their aggression prevent the acei from coloring up? Is there another monomorphic blue mbuna (or at least, non-yellow female) that you would recommend to go with the acei and labs?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have never kept demasoni. It will be my next mbuna though.

I have Mainganos which are what my avatar is. There's also some pics of them here, they are basically the exact same color with a horizontal pattern. They really aren't that aggressive comparatively speaking. They establish a pecking order but they rarely resort to real physical abuse IME.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a 125 gallon with 300 pounds of rock and started with 40+ demasoni and six years later I have only four left. I recommend against demasoni.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I have a 125G with 250 pounds of rock. I started with 20 demasoni and ended up with 40 two years later.

They are a little tricky but it can be done. If you want a "set-it-and-forget-it" tank, don't do demasoni. If you are willing to go to a little bother on an ongoing basis, they are fabulous.

cchardwick, not saying you did anything wrong, just that it does not always work out that way and wanted to present both sides. :thumb:

·
Registered
439 Posts
DJRansome said:
I have a 125G with 250 pounds of rock. I started with 20 demasoni and ended up with 40 two years later.

They are a little tricky but it can be done. If you want a "set-it-and-forget-it" tank, don't do demasoni. If you are willing to go to a little bother on an ongoing basis, they are fabulous.

cchardwick, not saying you did anything wrong, just that it does not always work out that way and wanted to present both sides. :thumb:
Wow, how did you do it? Can you post a photo of your setup? I'm finding out that there seems to be some magic in keeping these fish!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a revised plan:

Yellow Labs
Acei
Maingano
Rusties and/or White Top Hara (would like some input here)

8-10 juveniles each

Thoughts? Would you add all at once, or give certain ones a head start?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would add them all at once and I would do the rusties. To me the hara females and acei do not provide enough contrast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts