Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on Cichlid-Forum, although I’ve greatly benefited from this community for many years.

I’d really appreciate some tank stocking advice. I’m setting up a new (to me) 120g aquarium (48” x 24” x 24”), and I’d love to setup a frontosa species tank with a small colony of around 5-7 fish. If I went this route, I’d plan on aquascaping the tank in such a way that maximizes swimming space. Even so, I’m worried that such a tank wouldn’t be big enough for the frontosa to thrive long-term. Thoughts?

If that’s right (and fronts aren’t a viable option), then I was thinking about going with around 5-7 blue dolphin cichlids (Cyrtocara moorii) with around 6 Altolamprologus compressiceps (fire fin). Wouild that work? Or would the blue dolphin stress out the compressiceps? If breeding occurred within either group, would aggression levels in the tank be unbearable?

Failing all that, I’ll probably go with either mbuna or tropheus (although I’m worried about how expensive it’ll be setting up a colony of tropheus!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good place to learn and get ideas.

Now to answer your questions, your tank is too small for a Frontosa Colony. The minimum tank size for them would be a 180, 72 x 24 x 24, and that’s a starter size tank for them.

The Alto’s would be fine in this size aquarium.

I’ve never kept Blue Dolphin before, but from what I have observed and gathered about them, they do seem like a fairly peaceful Malawi Cichlid. They get rather big though and like to swim. I’d think a 6 foot tank would be better for them. Other can chime in that have more experience with them.

I’ve never heard of keeping Malawi Blue Dolphins with Tanganyika Alto’s before. It could work, but I think there are probably more suitable fish to keep with each of them.

In my 40 years of keeping fish, I’ve gone from trying to maximize fish per aquarium to getting comfortable with less fish, or smaller fish per tank. I try to give the fish more swimming room than less. Seems like the tanks are much happier now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on Cichlid-Forum, although I’ve greatly benefited from this community for many years.

I’d really appreciate some tank stocking advice. I’m setting up a new (to me) 120g aquarium (48” x 24” x 24”), and I’d love to setup a frontosa species tank with a small colony of around 5-7 fish. If I went this route, I’d plan on aquascaping the tank in such a way that maximizes swimming space. Even so, I’m worried that such a tank wouldn’t be big enough for the frontosa to thrive long-term. Thoughts?

If that’s right (and fronts aren’t a viable option), then I was thinking about going with around 5-7 blue dolphin cichlids (Cyrtocara moorii) with around 6 Altolamprologus compressiceps (fire fin). Wouild that work? Or would the blue dolphin stress out the compressiceps? If breeding occurred within either group, would aggression levels in the tank be unbearable?

Failing all that, I’ll probably go with either mbuna or tropheus (although I’m worried about how expensive it’ll be setting up a colony of tropheus!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hi!😃😃 nice to meet you!6
I raise Blue Moori/ Dolphin babies and have 5. We go with the ratio of 1 male and 4 females. Yes, they should be the "only species" tank. When they begin to breed they will become very feisty!😳
They are extremely beautiful babies and will grow to about 8" to larger! We love them.

·
Administrator
41,831 Posts
Moorii also get too big for a 48" aquarium. The length is limiting you. Look for fish that mature at six inches or less.

·
Registered
735 Posts
From the options you listed, Mbuna would be your best bet for this tank. Both C. frontosa and C. moorii require much larger tanks, and although Tropheus can be kept in 48" tanks, this may be a bit like diving off the deep end just now. Certainly an appropriately chosen collection of Mbuna would make for a very nice tank. Good luck. (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts