Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love how Ohioans have monster tanks... Hopefully within the next two years or so I will be joining your ranks with my twin 300 (800g total) project.

Any ideas on what you are going to stock? I am partial to 98dak83cam's 1000 all Malawi... http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=148215

Keep up the good work Aalelan... I'm livin in Columbus now so if you ever need an extra hand feel free to ask.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm still not 100% sure on stock... I know I want to have plenty of Oscars in there as my "main attraction" but I'm working out what will be good to go with them.. If the clown loaches get to big in the 180 I might move them down into it.. I would like a catfish of some kind just not sure what.

I want to stick to things that will end up between 12-20" at full grown.. So if you guys want to make suggestions feel free!

houstonhimself said:
Keep up the good work Aalelan... I'm livin in Columbus now so if you ever need an extra hand feel free to ask.
I will keep that in mind for when I get glass :lol: I will need to recruit a few extra hands for that night..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well no plywood today but I had a $10 off on a $50 purchase and play sand was on sale :) so a few flower pots and 750# of sand later I get to use the coupon! and then they give me another one when I check out!!

Walking the first 400# from the drive way, through the house and down two half flights of stairs just about got me.. but then again I was doing it 100# at a time.. the rest I did one bag at a time :lol:

So for all you picture craving people out there like me.. this will have to tide you over for now...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I've been working 17hr days this last week so not much going on with the tank... I was able to get enough wood to make the skeleton of the walls for now before I can get the flooring.. At least it will give a better idea of what its going to look like till I can get the flooring..

I'll post some pictures as soon as i can get time to work on it..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well Three sides loose framed... I took what I had to figure out what I needed :roll: and with that here is a picture.. I just put a few screws in to hold things in place for pictures and my frame of reference on size. but here it is....

Still doing 15+ hour days as of right now, some may say that is nothing but I have not had a good IT crunch in way too long :lol:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Lookin really good. I had to show my wife I'm not the only computer/fish geek in the world with custom tanks and a server room. :thumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hey TFG, I have a question for you.. I have made a calculation error in my height and I'm going to be 1" over, so that means a 4x8 sheet of plywood would not go to the top..

The question is what do you think about me putting down the first 3/4 layer of plywood down before the walls, then put the walls on that and use the second layer of 3/4 as an inlay of the walls?? That would help mitigate some of my error, I just want to get word from a professional that the second layer not going to the edges and under the walls would cause an issue..

Let me know if that is not clear..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Did you screw the sills to the studs? If so I'd undo them and cut them to the correct length. It will make life easier when you seal it. If that is not an option I'd use the second sheet in the bottom idea. At least then you would only have about 1/4" to deal with. You'll want to make sure the wood is all sealed even at the top. I'm not sure how your sealant will navigate around corners like the ones you will have at the top is all. At least pressure won't be an issue up there so you should be fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I think i have an idea that will make it all better. If things do not work out like I think they will, I already have a plan C :lol: I like options and plans!!

:dancing: Cant wait to get some plywood and the rest of the framing stuff. :dancing:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have been looking at doing some canopies for my tanks, does any have plans on how to build them and a cost that goes with them?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Doane said:
I have been looking at doing some canopies for my tanks, does any have plans on how to build them and a cost that goes with them?
You should probably start a new thread for that :)

41 - 60 of 211 Posts