Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
CHBGator said:
I'll get a quote for 58"x48"x.5", that should give you a viewing area of 42x54 if you have 3" of land on the top and 2" for the other 3 sides on each piece of glass.
Thanks man! The glass will be one of the last things I get though :( and this may take me a while.. This is a great forum of helping and encouraging people.. I'm very glad I found it!!

I might see if I can squeak in a $50 trip to the depot this weekend sometime and get a few more joists in that box... and the scrap ends make perfect uprights for the base, so BONUS!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK, I could not help myself... I moved some stuff out of the "fish area" and put in the box that will be the joist box on the stand ... There is 39" to work with behind the tank and 48 off to the side where I will be putting a door at some time!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
More progress! But this will be it for a while I have blown my budget for now :( But here are some pic :D

Two of the five base components are done :)

Now all five :eek: the thing in the background is the joist box frame

Joist box done and installed!

Like TFG did I used a chair for height reference, mine will be a little lower to the ground.

I had some 2x4s laying around so I put in the first layer of the bottom baseplate for the walls:

Last but not least here is a down inside view of the action!

Let me know what you guys think so far!

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Did you screw that first layer of 2x4 plate? If so, I'd unscrew it and get the floor sheeted first, then build the walls on the sheeted floor. That is one thing I should have done. I didn't because I didn't really have approval from the boss and I didn't have the sheeting yet. Typically that's how a house is framed. I ended up having to go around and brace the sheeting on the edges.... dumb....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hmmmm... They are screwed down already.. bummer to hear that too.. I made sure that the inside was going to be perfect to just trim up a 4x8 sheet of plywood and drop it in.. I even made sure that there was a 2x6 on the ends inside the 2x4 wall area for the sheeting to set on, but thats just one the ends, not the front or the back sides..

well at least you told me at this stage :lol: soon as I get budget to do the floor I will take those up..

Still trying to decide if I want to do 2x1/2 or 2x3/4 on the floor.. I know I'm doing 3/4 on the walls.. The depot has 3/4 Bir tch on sale for $29 a sheet now, but I'm out of cash for now..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ehhh.. NP that just means I get to have more fun with the materials that I have :wink:

What do you think about the 2 ply 1/2 vs 3/4 on the floor TFG , given that its going to be 48" tall and 1100 gallons! Should I just stick to all 3/4 and be done with it?

well now that i think about it, if I have to take that up it will make my measurements off and I might as well stick to all the same size to see if I can make use of scraps for the front part :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
AHAHHAHAHAH!! My firewall at home has decided it needs a vacation :roll: Sorry about all the broken images, I will be going home at lunch to fix the issues.. I called the ISP and the line and modem check out 100% so I guess my super duper uptime for the last few years was bound to fail on me sometime :lol:

At any rate, no pics but an update. I took that 2x4 base plate off the joist box last night and picked up some Liquid Nail at lunch yesterday (I had to get out of the office at lunch) So as soon as i get some plywood I will be ready to rock and roll... I'm going to put a bead of Liquid Nail on the joists before I screw the plywood down just to give it extra stick power.

I'll keep yall updated as things progress, and I'll get those images fixed ASAP!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
wow us ohio'ians are our tanks eh? all 3 of you with huge tanks... well im only 22 now so give me a few years to buy a house then ill show you all!!!! :) seriously give me a few years and ill be dragging these threads back out!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
WOW, thats a good price GHBGator! I need to make it till after the first of July before I can buy glass but I will PM you for sure when it gets to be that time.. I want to give my dude here in town a chance to see what he can do then too, I thinking he might have some inside pull to get it delivered to the house, not sure :)

Other news.. I just found a coupon for Lowes 25$ off you next $250 purchase! Wife just said we can talk about that :thumb: I will keep you guys informed on that front.. I might get a lot farther and faster that I thought I would!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have been on a different forum for a while because the main focus of our tank(s) has been plants and small fish.. but I have always wanted to get a huge tank, since my old 40g when I had a channel catfish and a common pleco that got way too big for it.. That is why I want to do this tank.. and I just saw today a guy I know is trying to give away two 8+ inch albino Oscars for free to a good home.. wish i had this done already..

but here are some pictures of what the misses and I have now..

Our showcase tank, the 180 (custom canopy by me :) )

Our 29G quarantine tank.. has a small regular community that I rescued from my dads old tank. Another custom canopy by me(needs sanded and painted though :( )

Got a great deal on a 55g but nothing in it yet.. but I made the stand and canopy for it.. I made it so I could keep my two Red Cherry Shrimp breeding tanks under it.. Only one has shrimp in it now, the other was serving as a hospital tank for a while :( :

And the 40 that my dad gave back to me after I gave it to him a year ago.. He got tired of killing fish and plants but growing algae like crazy.. I just go this back so its just sitting on an old sofa table now:

Here is a closer shot of a side of plants in the 180.. it needs some grooming done.. That is what the wife does and she has been busy with classes and teaching..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Good news, can't wait to see fish in it :D

One thing I wanted to mention... If you do 2x4's one foot on center for the walls there's no reason to use 3/4" plywood. Especially if you plan to go the hardie drylok method. Also if you plan to use the shower drains as bulkheads you won;t be able to use anything thicker than 1/2" for sheeting as the threads for he shower drains do not go very far.... :x One of mine leaks if you sneeze on it :x

Of course all I'd have to do is break down and buy regular bulkheads but I'm a cheap s.o.b. :D

Enjoying the show :)
:popcorn: :popcorn: :dancing:

21 - 40 of 211 Posts