Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Aalelan said:
I would like to use 3/4 but i'm being told it will be harder to get (from my source anyway) He also mentioned just using two sheets of 3/8" laminated.. I'm not sure what the lamination process entails for glass, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that either.. Looking for other opinions on that.
--AA
I've read that the laminate glass is a bad idea because if water gets to the laminate it will slowly dissolve and separate. Figure out the size glass you need and I can get a wholesale price for you. My 84"x 29" x .5" tempered was $169 tax included out the door from work.

lol you say now you'll take pictures as you go but trust me when you start working on it its very easy to forget to stop working and take the pictures.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Most of those formulas online are for plate glass. Tempered is a whole different ball game. .5" should work especially since you are using 2 pieces. The length of the glass depends on your design. Specifically how far in your front corners are and the width of the center brace in the front of the tank. Try and draw out your plan or Download Google Sketchup. Give the glass at least 1.5" of contact area all the way around for the silicone.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Another tip, pick your substrate wisely! I used gravel and just spent 8 hrs last night changing it out to Sand. Gravel lets to much junk build up in it and settle underneath it where it cant get picked up buy the current and carried off to the filters. Needless to say it was a nasty mess! so unless you want to spend a lot of time cleaning your gravel go with sand all the poop and extra food sits on top in whatever spot it can and you can siphon it right up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
CHBGator said:
Want me to check on 3/4" plate glass? Since no one will see the edges you only need it sanded not polished. I'll call our supplier up on Monday and get a quote for you. I highly doubt it will be near $1000
Sheesh 3/4" really makes the price jump! I just checked for you and the total plus tax it comes out to $953.63 for both sheets.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Curator said:
I have found a couple sites just recently that might be useful to you... first one has plate glass and acrylic, second one is for tempered glass for really cheap but you have to make a special order if you want glass over 48"x48", but you dont want tempered anyway, so i guess it doesnt matter, I'll just put the link there for anybody that does want tempered... Hopefully this will be helpful...
http://www.glasscages.com
http://www.onedayglass.com
Glass cages charges more per sq foot than what I can get 3/4" at and they dont tell you what the cost to sand the edges is. and the 2nd site says pieces over 48"x48" are to big for them to process and ship.

Can you do pieces larger than 48" x 48"?
"Most pieces larger than 48â€

1 - 16 of 16 Posts