Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Aalelan said:
98dak83cam said:
1/2" worked for me for 48" deep. I used tempered glass for my project. If you are in doubt see if you can get 5/8"
How big was your tank and what size was the glass window.. And Thanks for your input! Now I can say at least someone has done 48" with 1/2" Tempered..

--AA
Mine is roughly 1080 gallons. 11'2" long, 4' tall, about 3' front to back. (inside) The openning on the front is 4' tall by 100" long. All I did was put a brace at center for extra support. Take a look at my thread (1000+ gallon peacock hap) and take a look.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Did you screw the sills to the studs? If so I'd undo them and cut them to the correct length. It will make life easier when you seal it. If that is not an option I'd use the second sheet in the bottom idea. At least then you would only have about 1/4" to deal with. You'll want to make sure the wood is all sealed even at the top. I'm not sure how your sealant will navigate around corners like the ones you will have at the top is all. At least pressure won't be an issue up there so you should be fine.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Take your time, mine took six months before I even had water in it and over a year before I had fish in it. Do it slow anddo it right one time. To many people rush and they end up having trouble. Mine is looking better by the day and the fish look like a million bucks. Worth every swear word that slipped out and every drop of blood bled during the build. Looks good and good luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Aalelan said:
98dak83cam said:
You need to finda better deal on glass, that is a deal buster. I would be willing to drive if I were you if it meant saving some $$. You should be able to get both sheets for under 1000.00 total.
I agree. and that is what I was expecting.. I did get and inside deal on 1/2 tempered but I really want to stay away from the shatter factor of that. I have a 72" bed truck I could use to pickup glass but I have no idea how to brace/transport such large sheets..

/quote]

I made a platform for my truck to go get my glass. I basically made it so that the glass rested over the wheel wells and extended the platform over the tailgate as needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts