Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
des said:
I've now cleaned out the entire tank. I could really use some suggestions on substrate as this is my next to do. The last owner was using builders sand (dark tan colour) but I've removed it. Your experience would be appreciated.
Crushed Coral has worked well for me, it is a great buffer as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have a "salt and pepper" look in our Gibb tank. We liked the color it brought out in the big guys. By the looks of the size of your fish, they will be fine in the 110 for a long time. :thumb: Not sure about what variant, they are still pretty small. You are keeping your bio-media going while cleaning the tank, right?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Raschael said:
We have a "salt and pepper" look in our Gibb tank. We liked the color it brought out in the big guys. By the looks of the size of your fish, they will be fine in the 110 for a long time. :thumb: Not sure about what variant, they are still pretty small. You are keeping your bio-media going while cleaning the tank, right?
Along with the tank came with two emperor 400 filters. I have the bio-wheels submersed in fish water. Will this be enough to keep the bacteria alive? I think as long as the wheels don't dry out I'll be okay?

I purchase last night the replacement filters and picked up new carbon for the plastic cartridges.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
::update::

One of the emperor 400 stopped working about a week ago. I decided to replace it with a Eheim canister 2075. I use one on my 75 gallon and works great. I have since removed some rocks to give the fish more swimming space. One thing I would have done differently at the start would be to use a few larger rocks than many smaller ones.

The Cyphotilapias are doing well and living peacefully with all the Altolamprologus. At feeding time, the Altos are very quick to eat so I'm using smaller pellets to give everyone an opportunity to feast. So it's been a little over a month and I haven't noticed any growth (I didn't expect it).

Questions

When would be a good time to sex them to determine number of males to female ratio? Are they still too young to really matter?

I read about venting but have not actually done it before. I can't imagine myself venting all 16 of them! Would I set up a bucket with tank water venting them one by one and placing them in a bucket? What is the easiest way for me to do this, without stressing them.

Thanks in advance for reading and your responses.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Once they hit about 3-4", it should be pretty obvious who the males are. They will be the largest and have the largest nuchal humps. It took my Burundi Fronts about 3 years to reach that size (I got them at about 2"). About the time they start showing these signs, it is probably about the time it will start to matter, because the alpha will start to fight with the other males and harass the females for breeding. I had 8 juvies and had to pare it down to 2M/4F (2 extra males). With 16 you may start to see some aggression a little bit sooner. If you do try to vent, I think it goes without saying that the larger and more sexually mature they are, the easier it will be.

·
Registered
623 Posts
allierw said:
Once they hit about 3-4", it should be pretty obvious who the males are. They will be the largest and have the largest nuchal humps. It took my Burundi Fronts about 3 years to reach that size (I got them at about 2"). About the time they start showing these signs, it is probably about the time it will start to matter, because the alpha will start to fight with the other males and harass the females for breeding. I had 8 juvies and had to pare it down to 2M/4F (2 extra males). With 16 you may start to see some aggression a little bit sooner. If you do try to vent, I think it goes without saying that the larger and more sexually mature they are, the easier it will be.
Unless im not understanding, it took your fronts 3 years to grow from 2 inches to 4 inches, isnt that extremely slow :-?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think anyone answered your original question on the frontosa. Yes they are kigoma.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your tank looks great. You will definitely have to thin your group as they grow and mature. With that size tank you'd probably do well with maybe 2m/4f. What I did with my Kitumba was find a buyer that was relatively close to me that was willing to swap fish back and forth so we both got a ratio that worked well for both of us. I did give him a pretty good discount for being open to doing this. I was working with 12 fish but about the same size tank and both of our groups are doing great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts