Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up new tank and pondering the idea of a DIY sump/refugium.

I have a few questions..

I need to obtain an overflow. Any overflow? or is there something that needs to be calculated with the return pump.

What would be an appropriate size return pump?

10g aquarium sump for 55g aquarium.

Thank you!

·
Registered
456 Posts
10g sump on a 55g tank would be more effort than it's worth IMO. Unless your just wanting to learn and build something. HOB's or a cannister would be plenty with minimal maintnance.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Malawi_Junkie said:
10g sump on a 55g tank would be more effort than it's worth IMO. Unless your just wanting to learn and build something. HOB's or a cannister would be plenty with minimal maintnance.
I agree.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I wanted a natural filtration system as well as breeding shrimp in the refugium.. But, since you want to give me opinions instead of useful information I suppose another site might be better suited.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
craziloki said:
Ok, so I wanted a natural filtration system as well as breeding shrimp in the refugium..
You might have mentioned that in the original post.
Anyway, here are some search results, I don't have any sump experience to lend but I'm sure someone will jump in.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
craziloki said:
Ok, so I wanted a natural filtration system as well as breeding shrimp in the refugium.. But, since you want to give me opinions instead of useful information I suppose another site might be better suited.

Thanks
I have sumps on a few of our tanks. All have refugiums. The smallest tank we run with a sump is a 65G RR and that is as small a tank I would sump for the trouble involved. We have a twenty gal sump on that tank with ten gallons divided for the fuge alone.

My advise is a 10 gallon sump will be too small to get any real use out of and ten gal would be the smallest volume for the fuge alone to be of any use at all on a tank that size.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, just don't understand why somebody would discourage someone from attempting something that would only be beneficial. Anyways, I suppose I could have put forth more info.

I just completed a BG for my new 55g. I incorporated my canister, but somehow forgot to include a spot for my HOB :lol: . I want to use the sump for all other purposes.. (Heater, secondary flow, etc...)

I have 3 tanks sitting in my basement and wanted to use a 10g for a sump.. I have enough info to make the sump itself.. I even have a powerhead that I could utilize as a return pump. However, I don't know what size overflow box vs. return I should have. Not against an actual return pump either.

I was thinking somewhere in the 220-300gph ballpark..

Does the box match the pump?
How much does the diameter of the bullkhead play?
can my return line be UGJ? (I know I need the first hole to break siphon for power outage)

Thank you for further inquiries.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have sumps on a few of our tanks. All have refugiums. The smallest tank we run with a sump is a 65G RR and that is as small a tank I would sump for the trouble involved. We have a twenty gal sump on that tank with ten gallons divided for the fuge alone.

My advise is a 10 gallon sump will be too small to get any real use out of and ten gal would be the smallest volume for the fuge alone to be of any use at all on a tank that size.

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you, but in my research I have came across TONS of 10g sumps for my size tank.. Mostly in reef systems. I even found a 10g nano reef with 2.5g sump :D

I don't think it is the MOST effecient, however that is not to say it isn't efficient. I only want extra flow, beneficial bacteria growth, and like 5g to breed shrimp. If it doesn't work, i will let you all know.. Im not against saying I was wrong.. [/quote]

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
craziloki said:
>snip<
Thank you, but in my research I have came across TONS of 10g sumps for my size tank.. Mostly in reef systems. I even found a 10g nano reef with 2.5g sump :D
Apples to Oranges.

There comes a point where you put in more than you get back. Not trying to discourage you so don't read more into my post than necessary.

You could use a AC powerhead with a quickfilter attachment to drive a closed loop UGJ if recirculation is what you are looking for and put a 2.5G tank run with a sponge filter on the side for shrimp and accomplish the same for less effort on your part.

Build your sump and please share with us your experience, that is how we all learn. :thumb:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The problem I had with having a 10gal sump was the evaporation. It also created micro bubbles in my main tank. I was running a bigger pump though(500gph). I had to be real carefull not to fill my sump up too much because when I turned my pump off the sump would overflow.

Speaking of overflow I have been using a pvc overflow for over a year now with great results But go bigger than you think you need. I use 1.5in pvc for 500gph and it works great.

Now I am using a 20long as my sump. It has baffels to take care of the micro bubbles and it still has enough room for a refugium. Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the info guys..

I may just go with the 20L.. I really wanted to use the 10 for space.. I will fill you all in on my finished result..

Thank you!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts