Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to keeping cichlids and have a few questions. I have a 100 gallon tank 48"x18". I have it set up with sand, lots of rocks+cichlid caves, and some cichlid resistant plants(Java Fern + Anubis) and now I'm trying to decide which fish to put in it- I know I want Mbunas.
I am particularly interested in Maingano, Red OB Zebra, Yellow Lab, Textilis, Bumble Bee, and Giant Demasoni though I am open to others.

My questions are:
-How many cichlids should I have in this tank?
- Should I do something like one of each or should I do multiple of each species? If multiple, how many species and how many per species?
-if multiple, what do I do with the fry if/when they breed?
- Would these species be alright together? The research I've done so far suggests they would.
-Are there other species you would recommend?
- Are there any online sellers you would recommend? My local stores sadly do not have much variety.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
CoyoteSong said:
I am particularly interested in Maingano, Red OB Zebra, Yellow Lab, Textilis, Bumble Bee, and Giant Demasoni though I am open to others.
CoyoteSong said:
-How many cichlids should I have in this tank?
I recommend mixed gender as it is an easier tank with the aggressive mbuna.
CoyoteSong said:
- Should I do something like one of each or should I do multiple of each species? If multiple, how many species and how many per species?
Think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f of each depending on the species.
CoyoteSong said:
-if multiple, what do I do with the fry if/when they breed?
Let the mom's spit the fry in the tank and get a group of 5 Synodontis multipunctatus.
CoyoteSong said:
- Would these species be alright together? The research I've done so far suggests they would.
Too many species for the tank. I would omit the bumblebee as too large and the giant demasoni as too skittish. Choose between red zebra and yellow lab as they crossbreed.
CoyoteSong said:
- Are there any online sellers you would recommend?
Send me or another member a PM for a vendor recommendation.

Maybe something like this?
1m:7f Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos maingano
1m:4f Metriaclima estherae OB
1m:4f Labidochromis textilis
1m:4f Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue

·
Registered
178 Posts
DJRansome said:
+1.
Though - will point out one thing before Foglehund beats me to it. Textilis is almost certainly Joanjohnsonae, and the males will turn blue. If they are true textilis (Super rare) then please tell me where they are and whether they ship :)

I also keep the Cobue, and absolutely love these little guys. Solid advice from DJR.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
SenorStrum said:
DJRansome said:
+1.
Though - will point out one thing before Foglehund beats me to it. Textilis is almost certainly Joanjohnsonae, and the males will turn blue. If they are true textilis (Super rare) then please tell me where they are and whether they ship :)

I also keep the Cobue, and absolutely love these little guys. Solid advice from DJR.
:thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts