Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Occies man! Can't be beat for personality.

·
Registered
642 Posts
A bunch of shells. At least 3 for each fish you buy. Maybe one rock just to break up the monotony and sand for substrate. A heater and small hang-on-back (HOB) filter, a glass canopy and light on the technical side.

Shellies are IMO the best small tank dwellers. They'll keep you entertained far more than "normal" more colorful fish like neon tetras for instance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
cracks said:
occies might be hard to keep in a 10 gallon, the footprint is not very big. multies or similis for a 10 gallon
I have six gold occies in a 10 gallon with no issues at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sjnovakovich said:
cracks said:
occies might be hard to keep in a 10 gallon, the footprint is not very big. multies or similis for a 10 gallon
I have six gold occies in a 10 gallon with no issues at all.
i got 8 in a 14 gallon. not saying it cant be done, but it all depends on the OPs experience level, layout of tank etc..

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
but it all depends on the OPs experience level, layout of tank etc..
Not entirely. A group of occies in a 10 has very little chance of long term success IME no matter how experienced you are and how you lay out the tank. Males are just too aggressive with each other. If you only have one male odds, increase, but they are notorious for even rejecting females on a whim. You'd have to get them breeding for a while before claiming it successful. One male, one or two females could work for a while. Getting them paired up in there would be the tricky part.

Go with brevis, or multi's.

Just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts