Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going away for a week and was wondering what I should do? I have mostly all Malawi's, and have never gone away. I have a mix of juvenilles and adults. Been feeding them a mix of pellets and flakes. thanks

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I wouldn't do anything. Maybe clean the tank a few days before you leave and give them a good feeding before you leave. Besides that they should be fine.

·
Registered
448 Posts
al7601 said:
I'm going away for a week and was wondering what I should do? I have mostly all Malawi's, and have never gone away. I have a mix of juvenilles and adults. Been feeding them a mix of pellets and flakes. thanks
Malawi's can go a week without eating and be okay! Perhaps have someone (a friend?) check in on them every other day and do feedings if you're really concerned. But, you should be okay for one week. I'd make sure to do a water change the day before you leave and also make sure your house temp is good!
I just got back from a one week vacation and just had a friend feed them twice while I was gone, I turned off my AC in my house to save $$$$ (which I regret) and my tank was really, really hot when I got back which might have lead to a death. Anywho, that would honsetly be my only concerns. Hopefully everything works out!

·
Registered
169 Posts
nlui220 said:
Just a reminder to keep the tank dim to keep the aggression minimal.
+1

The fish don't really need the tank lights on. That's mostly so we can see them better (unless you have live plants). I suggest turning your lights off while you are gone to reduce activity levels and avoid the heat input and evaporation (it's really hot where I am).

I have automatic fish feeders that I normally use, but I agree that they can go without food for up to a week.

·
Registered
443 Posts
They will easily be fine. When females hold they hold for 3 weeks. I have a sick Milomo V10 that
I'm treating that hasn't eaten in over a month.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you everyone, I'll take everyone's advice...no lights on, heavy feeding before I go, large WC, I have central air so I'll just keep the thermostat on 78 while I'm gone. I hope they'll be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts