Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i would think youd need to put a 2" peice of glass around the gap, then silicone that down... but i dont know im just guessing

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
possible? yes... practical or at all nice looking? No... cheap? no

Could be fun, but I'd only bother if there was some compelling reason OTHER than trying to save money (which often seems to be the motive behind this question ;) )

·
Registered
298 Posts
I believe it is very possible, although having you're top/bottom brace, you'd most likely need a brace along the whole seam where the 2 tanks join at.Then you could do a DIY center brace if you'd like. :wink:

·
Registered
465 Posts
That would be cool to make one big mega aqaurium like 20 feet long! :lol: That would be pretty cool

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There's a music club in downtown Seattle that has an awesome amazon-themed tank that incorporates (if I remember) two 8' tanks. Two 8' tank make one 16' tank. It's fully planted with hundreds of tetras, catfish, and a altum angels.

Basically there's a heavy silicone seam that connects the two tanks...with a frame for the whole thing.

EDIT:
The place is called the Triple Door: http://www.thetripledoor.net/default.aspx

Here's a shot of the 1,900 gallon tank: http://www.thetripledoor.net/musicquarium.aspx

I highly recommend both the venue and the food.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so it is a practical idea? i have the two tanks, i just dont have a stand, silicone, or a heater yet.

i think ill try it. dogofwar is the silicone seam an eye sore?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Have you thought about doing a water bridge? I think that would be more practical than tying to join two tanks together. There are a couple of places to order bridges from, but I think that you could DIY a big one with acrylic. I would add an aqua-lifter to suck any air bubbles out

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
brian93 said:
is that like a tunnel that joins them?
Yep, a 'bridge' filled with water.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
It would be fairly simple to build a stand that could allow the two tanks to sit side by side... without all the construction of jointing them. This will still give the appearance of the longer tank but will not give you a larger tank. It also wouldn't be hard at this point to connect the tanks as one system which may help for water quality and stability.

What size tanks are you considering doing this with? longer tanks are usually bigger in all directions. Joining two 55 gal tanks would produce an 8' tank, but the narrow front-to-back will still greatly limit stocking.

But, if I were to do this I would us a 2" wide strip of glass to line the inside of the seam... which would be an eyesore... to counter this as well as provide the much needed additional structural support I would build a frame for the entire tank to be built into which would include a center brace along the seam on all sides as well as front-to-back across the top.

To me it sounds like a whole lot of work with considerable expense for a less than ideal product... not a project I would undertake... unless you make it and it's easier & looks better than I think :p

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The seam is not an eyesore, but I think that it was done professionally.

I don't think it makes sense to join two 29g tanks, when you can buy a 4 or 6' tank for not that much money.

I think it makes a lot more sense when you're trying to figure out how to build a 1900g one :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
dogofwar said:
The seam is not an eyesore, but I think that it was done professionally.

I don't think it makes sense to join two 29g tanks, when you can buy a 4 or 6' tank for not that much money.

I think it makes a lot more sense when you're trying to figure out how to build a 1900g one :)
I agree. Joining the two 29s would be a major project with a lot of effort involved. 55's are on craigslist constantly for less than $100 and that would give you an almost equivalent voulme. If you were joining two very large tanks together it might be cool and save money over a an 8 footer (like joining two 75s or something) but two 29's just wouldn't be worth it.

Best advice I could give is to get a 55, and keep both 29s then you have 3 tanks :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
i know this is pretty old but....maybe instead of going side by side,go front to back and instead of putting a seam on the side panels,get 2 panes made to fit.with 2 29's this would greatly increase your stocking options and really wouldn't be too costly. a co-worker of mine did this with 2 75G.and i've been thinking about doing it with my 2 55's

1 - 20 of 31 Posts