Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one peacock that wont eat as of yesterday. Should i be worried?
He has always ate before.
Can aquarium salt and upping my temp help with any issues he might be having? He has no white spots on him and is not bloated.
Also am i getting to worried to fast should i see if he will eat today or next few days before taking action?
I dont have a quarantine tank.
Water tested last night and all is well with zero nitrites,ammonia and 10ppm nitrates,ph 8-8.2

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
Why and how much salt did you add? Is it sodium chloride or Epsom salt?

What was your temperature before you raised it and what is it now? Why did you raise it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeda said:
Why and how much salt did you add? Is it sodium chloride or Epsom salt?

What was your temperature before you raised it and what is it now? Why did you raise it?
No salt added yet current temp 80-81 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
Sorry about that, I thought you had already made the changes.

I would not add any salt and would keep the temperature between 76F and 78F.

Not all fish eat every day so just watch that he eats in a couple days. Fish can go up to a week without eating without problems. Is this the same fish you had problems with before?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deeda said:
Sorry about that, I thought you had already made the changes.

I would not add any salt and would keep the temperature between 76F and 78F.

Not all fish eat every day so just watch that he eats in a couple days. Fish can go up to a week without eating without problems. Is this the same fish you had problems with before?
No the otger fish was just a juvenile hiding out. He is doing great.
This is my second to largest male.
Ugly as **** but i still like him dont want him to have any problems that i could fix. I will watch him eat and see what happens. If its not eating by tomorrow evening ill chime back in and see what my options are. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the eggs peacock cichlids hold always look yellow?
This fish appears to have something blackish grey in its mouth and it will sit there and move it around from time to time.
I should have said earlier in this post that he/she would go up to some pieces of food but wouldn't grab it where usually it going crazy chasing bits of food with the others. Can a female have big fins with color and egg spots grey black body?
Now that i recall when i got this fish it had a nice gut fat almost but not bloated and it went away after about a week of putting it in my tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
The eggs are usually light colored, could it be a piece of gravel?

Any chance you can post a pic of the fish? Female Aulonocara don't normally have a lot of color, more silvery in color.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
Your link doesn't work for me.

You will have to use a photo hosting website to upload pics usually. It is possible to use the Full Editor, scroll below to Upload attachment and Browse your device, choose the pic, Add the file and then post a pic.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
When the fry are developed in the mother's mouth they can look black, whether from eye color or pigment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i cought the fish not eating and it was holding 5-6 little fry that are now in there own 3 gallon tank with sponge filter set up with a little heater. I didnt want to kill them off.
So the female peacocks can have egg spots and a little color on there fins.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Congrats! I assume it is a hybrid peacock? Females can have more color among the hybrids.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.