Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few months back someone I knew had a full grown male Brevis that I could have. So I took him and he has taken up a home in my 29 gallon tank with 2x Synodontis. Sometimes when the cats come too close, he would chase them away.

Well I thought he is of a sexual mature age I should attempt to pair him up.

Cut to the chase.

Today I added:
2 Juvie BN Plecos, one will be removed later.
6 Calvus Juvies, trying to form a trio and sell the rest.
4 Brevis middle aged, trying to pair up the Male I already had and remove the rest.

Anyway I put the new mates in and the original male is in some sort of a fit. He is chasing anything that moves just about anywhere in the tank. I figure the Calvus will settle in and move into the rock pile as the Cats, and BNs have done, where the old male won't go.

I am just curious if I am going to have a problem with the Brevis and the other Brevis? Seems he wants to be alone? I thought Brevis were relatively docile lol.

Any suggestions? Right now they are lights out, that outta keep him simmered down.

Its really kind of interesting he puffs out his cheeks almost like a Betta and kind of "dances" in a sidewinder fashion swimming sideways in a jittery motion. Often not attacking but like warding fish away. He gets such a dark purple and very bright. I should take some pictures because he has never been so colorful. All the interesting stuff aside I hope I don't end up with a bunch of dead fish.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Sounds like good clean fun! :thumb:

Just as if you suddenly had 12 roommates move in, he's a bit perturbed. He's got a territory to defend, and wants the newbies to know who's boss. If he gets a little too rambunctious, move everything around in the tank. Redecorating when adding new fish into an existing tanks is a common solution to territory aggression.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
29 gallon = 36" long tank?

If that is the case, try this...

starting from the left side of the tank, shell cluster against the glass, rock structure to hide the cluster, then some open sand, shell clusters, then open sand, then rock strusture to break the line-of-sight, then shell cluster against the right side of the glass.

Your older brevis is in the tank for a while. He is going to defend the area; the whole tank. It is a normal behavior.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Charles said:
29 gallon = 36" long tank?
A standard 29 is a 30"x12" footprint.

-Rick (the armchair aquarist, who happens to have one of those 29gallon tanks empty in his basement right now. need to do somethinig about that!)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
triscuit said:
If he gets a little too rambunctious, move everything around in the tank. Redecorating when adding new fish into an existing tanks is a common solution to territory aggression.
Thanks for the tip, I may very well try this first. Man you try to bring some ladies for your buddy and all he does is get mad lol. What a world.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I rearranged the tank and he is still aggressive, not as much as before. Its kind of funny as the other Brevis try to school with him and he get irritated. The easiest solution may be to move him? I think I will give the situation a few hours hopefully he gets tired of being upset and gives up?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
If you want your fish to ignore eachother, you'd better get rid of your cichlids! :lol:

Let them be... keep the lights off, and they'll figure it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.