Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one have any ideas what i can use to make a super small bio filter for a 1.5 gal fry tank?
i have been thinking of using a 3/4 pvc pipe with a cap on it and a smaller tube in side with some cotton balls in between the two tubes any input is good i know its a small tank but its all i have right now.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
A 1.5g "grow out" tank is a very bad idea IMHO, and a super small biofilter would be an equally bad idea. The norm for a fry tank would be a sponge filter. It provides all the bio-filtration needed.
The smallest grow out tank I would ever do (even for a few fry) would be a 5g tank with daily water changes!

I hope you rethink your plans. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I got a really small tank by trading round and found it was nearly impossible. Fry need frequent feedings to do well but they also are not very good at picking up scraps so the waste builds up very quick in a super small tank. The same amount of waste is much less percentage in a 10 gallon. I would recommend a small sponge for the filter but not recommend the tank size.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love that coconut filter haha, thanks for posting that up. Unfortunately a half coconut would take up a large percentage of a 1.5 gallon tank :lol: . Maybe get a 10 gallon for the job, only 10 bucks but would make a big difference in what you are trying to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.