Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some fry that were hatched 2 months ago. They are from the mouth of my yellow tipped acei. I bought her holding, and unknowing on my part and the LFS. She was in a tank with only other yellow tipped acei's when I bought her.

Questions:
1)When will the fry LOOK like an acei. I want to ensure they are pure before I distribute them right now they are 1/2 an inch and have dark stripes on them
2)How many months do fry typically take to grow to an inch.
3)How big must they be before I put them in with my 3-4 inch cichlid tank?

Thanks Guys!

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You can't determine purity by visual ID. A hybrid can look exactly like either parent. Many of us buy holding females as a good way to know the fish is a female, but I always let the first batch be spit in the tank because there is no way to be sure.

About six months for fry to be a size for selling or adding to a tank with adults. Some will be one inch and some will be two inches.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is a yellow tipped acei?
Dunno if I have seen one sold as this.
Is it a common name for a variant of Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (now thought by Ad Konings to be Pseudotropheus elegans rediscovered) or an aquarium cross of variants?
All the best James

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli). Looks exactly like the pic here on Cichlid forum. Common name is yellow tailed acei. Sorry about the wrong name.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts