Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so yeah decided to restock my 90, still learning with Africans ...

So here is the new List..

3 Kenyi 1M//2F
3 Yellow Labs
3 Red Top Zebras
4 Aratus 1M//3F
1 Bumble Bee
2 Red by Reds
1 Elongutus "Mbenji Blue"
1 pale Blue Elongutus (( Unsure of sex or type ))
1 Johanni
1 Fuellabornai Male
2 Other types of Melanchromis unsure of name.
2 Jewels

Just wondering if this mix has a chance of working long term, if not let me know so I can adjust it :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Your Kenyi, bumble, and Auratus are about three of the nastiest tempered cichlids there are.

Also, mixing three species of melanochromis is not a good idea.

There are always exceptions to the rules but I wouldn't be surprised if you had some extreme aggression issues down the line.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I'd choose either mixed gender groups OR single males but not both.

For mixed gender groups I would limit to 4 species if you choose low aggression fish and 2 species if you choose high aggression fish like auratus, johanni, kenyi, crabro, etc.

For a 4 species configuration think in terms of 1m:4f of each. For the aggressive ones you do fewer species because you want twice as many females, like 1m:7f.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would be a good Mix if I go the aggressive group mix?

And yeah I will eliminate the females.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Whatever you do, don't mix Auratus with johanni or mix Kenyi with crabro.

I'd do johanni and Kenyi. Then follow DJRandsome's 1m7f advice.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Whoa...that's the first stocking list I've seen where almost every species is highly aggressive :lol: In a 90, I'd pick 3 of your favorite species. Normally, I'd say you could 4 or 5, but these are really nasty ones, so I'd do 3 with 1m, 7-9f depending on which you pick.

Personally, I like the look of bumblebees much better than the auratus.

I don't see why you can't do Kenyi and (crabro) bumblebees. They're both vertical barred, but they have a different color scheme altogether.

I would nix the jewels. If it's a mated pair, they'll just cause you grief in the end. Get them their own tank (something like a 29g will suffice for now).

·
Registered
625 Posts
I wouldn't do crabro with Kenyi because one gets 7" and the other gets 8". I just felt it would get a bit cramped. It really wasn't a stocking rule, I was just thinking that 20 really aggressive 7-8" fish in a 4' tank sounds a little full for long term success.

Then I wouldn't pick Auratus because IMO they are tiny versions of the devil.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't think Kenyis get that big...Profile says 6" max, though of course they're outliers. The ones I had, for 3-4 yrs (when I first tried Mbuna), never got beyond 4" despite being in a 5 ft tank with few other fish. Crabro, now that I've checked, get a lot bigger than I expected. But they're gorgeous, aren't they? I've always thought the auratus was a little too ugly to be worth it. Johannis can be terrors but at least they're really pretty to look at :lol:

I'd watch your color in the tank too. Don't get too much blue (just for aesthetics sake).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ehhhhhh yeah i am an odd ball lol. the pet store told me it would work.

Sadly, i should come here and take your guys advice.

As for the Aratus. Im really torn on then cus i love the fish, but if they are that mean they might have to go.

How about this species list then.

Aratus
Kenyi
Bumble Bee
Chipokae

Would an all male tank like this work?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Aratus
Kenyi
Bumble Bee
Chipokae
Wow! :eek:

Anyone want to take wagers on the last one standing (swimming)?

slh, in all seriousness & IMHO this isn't even worth the attempt...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so how do I do the stocking then.

I'm seriously trying to learn here and am very open to the advice.

So do I pick one aggressive species?

Kenyi
Labs
Bumble Bee
Red top zebras

Sorry im just trying to learn how the mixing works.

·
Registered
625 Posts
toume, I was mistaken, I had thought they were larger like the crabro. My bad! They are beautiful. Would make a nice species tank IMO.

As for stocking, the best way to look at it would be: don't get similar color fish and don't pair peaceful fish (labs, rusties, etc) with terrors. The best rule is the colors, just get completely different colors and patterns with each species.

Check out the cookie cutters for some examples on how to mix. There's no hard and fast rule but if you read up on successful stocking lists you kind of get a feel for what goes together.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
90 gallon, 4 species. Do you want a peaceful tank?

Labs
Acei Ngara
Cyno Hara
Rusty

JMO... research those & see if you like them...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok how bout this...

How do I stock 4 aggressive species into one tank?

Is it possible?

Eliminate The Aratus?

Is it that bad?

Sorry I thought it was cute, and the store told me that the Kenyi would be the only one I'd have problems with.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mine killed a smaller tankmate 15 minutes after putting him in. Taking him out next week when the LFS gets new cichlids in to trade.

4 aggressives would be pushing it. Possible, but there's not a lot of room to disperse aggression.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
1st... You need a really big tank... 6' at the minimum.

2nd.. You need many 6-7+ females per male

You can keep the auartus, just bear in mind of the stated warnings of just how aggressive they can be & plan accordingly. They are EXTREMELY aggressive.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
slh666

you would have a much better chance with a bigger(longer) tank,males of these species will try to claim large territories,
why the need for aggressive species?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hm...if you want the auratus, keep them. :lol: They will cause you a lot of stress, but keep the fish you want (just prepare for the consequences *cue evil music*). And....Never believe the pet store.

Honestly, in a 90g, which is only 4ft long, but also much wider and taller than the standard 55g (4ft long), it's a gamble....but....

Keep the harem of auratus--plan to get twice as many females.
Just watch it. If they're juvies, you'll be able to breathe for about a yr. When it's gets to 1.5-2", watch the aggression, and see if it's reasonable. There is some variation of aggression level within the species--I've never heard of a "peaceful" auratus, but it might be manageable. If it's your favorite, don't get rid of it. Stock the tank around it. Even the females will be monsters.

With:
Kenyi
Bumble Bee
Chipokae

(I don't know the Chipokae well and can't speak of it, but...)

If you want the auratus, you should choose kenyi or bumblebee. I wouldn't do a harem of 4 aggressives in this size tank.

If you want to do all-male, you can do more species (not sure how many seeing as how aggressive the species you've picked) but you have to get rid of the duplicates, and with Mbuna, you must ensure you have absolutely no females. If there is one female you've miss-sexed, the other males will fight tooth and nail over it.

I would assume a 90g all-male Mbuna tank would have more than 4 fish in it though...

IMHO, I would do Kenyi, labs, auratus, and up the female count on everything but the labs. You have a single bumblebee and lower numbers on all other species--easier to get rid of.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I am still learning the african side of things.

But Yeah I will redo my stocking list to work accordingly :d obviously I made some bone headed mistakes lol.

Does any of you guys have msn by any chance?

So i can get advice in real time?

I would love more advice, and possibly some help planning this out.

TVVM

·
Registered
388 Posts
Auratus males will kill your other fish, given a chance to be the Alpha of the tank.
Bumblebee(ps. Crabro) are cute, but have a Chrles Manson gene in them. Seriously, these **** lfs' and their "advice"....
Kenyi are nasty buggers when they hit 2.5".
Unfortunately, you have the worst of the worst, not your fault, those fish just happen to be very colorful when young, hence why every fish staore has them. Only thing worse is a Northern Blue, but we don't get those very often.

I say, trade the Auratus and Kanyi back to the store for some red zebras.(Metriaclima Estherae)
What color pattern is the male Fuelleborni, or what did the store say he was?
Please don't be discouraged, just gotta get over this first wall with your mbuna.
All on this thread have been down the EXACT same road, so please heed their/our advice. All those fish in one tank will lead to deaths, then the tank is understocked w/mbuna, and that will for sure lead to one or two fish left. Not ideal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.