DIY - Projects & Ideas • New 160 gallon set up

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

New 160 gallon set up

Postby calebjimz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:38 am

alright so i just bought a 160 gallon acrylic tank for 140 bucks off craigslist. STEAL. its a custom tank too, pictures will be coming soon. I have to build a stand for it due to the fact that it didnt come with the tank. heres a little bit of what I've done.

The tank has three drilled holes along the bottom for plumbing from the previous owner. I have yet to decide how to utilize these holes. I wanted to try to make this tank and stand somewhat ADA style, like so:

i like the way it looks with the lights over the tank not in a canopy, it gives it a more modern look. Dont get me wrong, i love canopies too, but i wanted to try something different. BUT i ran into a problem. i dont want to have the hob overflow behind my tank, but i also dont want to rig a canister filter, so i came up with this idea.

I wanted to intergrate a spray bar and a simple tube overflow using a clear pvc type pipe, obviously covered by some type of mesh material. the bulkheads on the bottom of the tank would not be visible due to it being covered by sand. i was also thinking of adding jets at the bottom of the tank, but am not too sure what that would do to the spraybar's flow. i may simply just add a powerhead or another pump to my sump/wet dry underneath the tank. anyways, let me know what you think and any advice (such as where to find clear aquarium safe pipe, what size, how to set it up, etc.) enjoy![/img]
calebjimz

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby The King Crabb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:12 pm

I learned from a failed experiment of mine (don't worry, no fish involved!) that if you try to split the flow from your sump pump between a spray bar and undergravel jets, you fail. It takes about 2-3 times the power to shoot water into water (undergravel jets) than to shoot water out above the water (spray bar). My pump was 900GPH and I got rudimentary flow at best. MUCH easier to just buy a separate powerhead for the ugjs!
The King Crabb

Postby calebjimz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:02 am

Thanks for the reply. I figured that would be the better route. I already have one pump so I might just add a second to use for the ugjs.
calebjimz

Postby calebjimz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:53 am

heres an update of where the stand is at so far. anyone have any ideas on how to brace the tank to the wall? if you do, please let me know. i dont want this thing tipping over haha.
calebjimz

Postby calebjimz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:42 am

i finally got the tank and stand in my room today. heres a little look of how massive this thing is in my room. thats a 60 gallon tank next to it -___________-
calebjimz

Postby Sand Man » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:50 am

That is a monster tank! Sorry for the newb question, but with 3 holes drilled on the bottom of the tank, running into a sump, how do you prevent all the water from flowing out in the event of a power outage?

What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

Good luck!
90 Gal - 6 Iodotropheus Sprengerae, 4 Labidochromis sp. "Hongi" (2 juvies), 7 Pseudotropheus acei, 4 Metriaclima daktari (all juvies), 1 psuedotropheus demansoni
30 gal - Fry tank (Rusty's 30+, Hongi 6)
Sand Man

Postby verbal » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:08 am

Sand Man wrote:That is a monster tank! Sorry for the newb question, but with 3 holes drilled on the bottom of the tank, running into a sump, how do you prevent all the water from flowing out in the event of a power outage?

You need the drain pipe to basically draw from the top of the water. He is planning to use clear pvc, so that is why they do not show up in the diagram.
verbal

Postby Sand Man » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:40 am

Sweet, so you have 3 clear PVC pipes? How do you keep them from getting algae all over them, or gunk build up that would take away from the aesthetics of the tank. I know the corner overflow in my 50 gets all kinds of gunk on it.
90 Gal - 6 Iodotropheus Sprengerae, 4 Labidochromis sp. "Hongi" (2 juvies), 7 Pseudotropheus acei, 4 Metriaclima daktari (all juvies), 1 psuedotropheus demansoni
30 gal - Fry tank (Rusty's 30+, Hongi 6)
Sand Man

Postby calebjimz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:55 pm

I thought about that and to be honest.... i dont really know :? . If algea grows on it, which it will, i dont think ill mind too much, it will just give it a more natural look. every now and then im sure i could just take the clear pvc pipes off and then use a nice long pipe cleaner to clear out the gunk. They wont be glued together. and as for the overflow, i probably wont even need to take it out to clean it.
calebjimz

Postby calebjimz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:59 pm

and as far as whats going into the tank i have yet to decide. I want a lot of color, obviously. I was thinking maybe 1 frontosa, 1 venustus, and the rest has yet to come. I already have a blue acei in my 60 thats going in the big tank and 4 juvenile P. nyererei (ruti island cichlids). I want lots of peacocks and haps though, but not enough to be too crowded.
calebjimz

Postby newforestrob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm

A black background would be good to hide your drain pipes,many people decide to do this after the tank is set up,a can of black paint and foam roller is all that is required,also the colors of fish really stand out against black
newforestrob

Postby calebjimz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:08 am

newforestrob wrote:A black background would be good to hide your drain pipes,many people decide to do this after the tank is set up,a can of black paint and foam roller is all that is required,also the colors of fish really stand out against black

yes a black background would not look bad at all. my only problem with that idea is that if im gonna paint it black, i might as well make a diy bg -_______-... another project to add to my to do list. we'll see what happens with that. i might settle with painting it black but im afraid that since the sides of my tank are already black (due to it being a room divider style tank) then it may feel to covered up. as of today, i have finished painting the doors, but have yet to spray clear coat on them as well as attach hinges. I have also started with the plumbing, as shown in this picture. sorry for the horrible quality.

as you can see, the spray bar is hanging down a little bit which is a problem. im not too sure how i can fix this. i already tried magnets, that didnt work, so my next option is sunction cups with some fishing line.... ironic. any suggestions with that would help.

eventually, i will replace the pvc with clear pvc (its gonna cost a small fortune, but i feel it would be worth it). Im not too sure on what to use to seal the pvc though. should i use pvc cemment? is it aquarium safe? how fast does it bond (im in a rush to get this freaking thing done)? or would aquarium safe silicone work better?
calebjimz

Postby Tadgo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:15 am

Use PVC cement for the PVC. It's safe. It cures pretty quickly. The jar will have better cure time then what my memory has. But it is way less then silicone cure time. Also, not sure how well sealant will seal the PVC. Constant bumping might cause it to get loose over time.

Nice find on that tank. Look forward to seeing it up and running.
Tadgo

Postby mel_cp6 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:59 pm

very nice.
is that an 8' tank?
11WC cyphotilapia mobas
02WC benthochromis tricoti
mel_cp6

Postby The King Crabb » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:56 pm

mel_cp6 wrote:Is that an 8' tank?

I was also wondering this.
The King Crabb

Next