General African Cichlid Discussion • Changing Substrate -- Go Deep or Shallow

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Changing Substrate -- Go Deep or Shallow

Postby TuFish » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:20 pm

I have removed my old substrate from my 125Gal, which was colored sand as a base and gravel on top. The substrate was approximately 3" to 3.5" deep. I removed about 2.5 (5gal) pails combination of sand and gravel. I have started replacing it with Black Diamond sandblasting Medium Sand. Questions: First, should I replace some of the original sand back as a bacterial bed (it's been in the pails for almost a week--it still damp). Second, should I go with only the Black Diamond or add Caribisea's African Cichlid Aragonite to create a Salt & Pepper look. My thought is my Community African Cichlids would benefit from the Aragonite and I like the look too. My tank has been running for several years (> 5yrs) with the old sand and gravel setup with no problems. As always any input is greatly appreciated & God Bless!
TuFish

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Changing Substrate -- Go Deep or Shallow

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:47 pm

I would not add the old gravel, you should have enough bacteria in filter media to prevent a mini cycle. I would go shallow, like one inch. I personally do not like the salt/pepper look and it is not natural. If both substrates were the same grain size I would say personal preference. However I think blasting sand is finer than african aragonite (check to confirm) and mixing substrates of different sizes means the finer will sink to the bottom and they won't stay mixed.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Changing Substrate -- Go Deep or Shallow

Postby TuFish » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 pm

Thanks very much for the reply.
TuFish

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion