Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Decoration advice

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Decoration advice

Postby blondiii_ » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:19 pm

I recently added a new trunk and fake plants to my cichlid tank. I feel like it might be a bit much and I just wanted to see if it looks too crowded with decorations? Or if it’s an adequate amount. Thanks!
Attachments
2FF09636-A513-4A6D-A835-A1B424D0530F.jpeg
blondiii_

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Decoration advice

Postby Stu W2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:26 pm

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder ... I quite like the trunks and artificial plants. I'd remove the pipe fitting and the garbage can guy. IMHO doing so will take the tank to the next level.

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby DJRansome » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:41 pm

You have some very aggressive mbuna in the tank. You want to fill the tank with rocks so they have dozens of hiding places and territories to claim.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby GuitarShark » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:44 am

+1 to adding rocks. Fake decor is great but it doesn’t replace the natural stuff. I would also purchase smaller, finer substrate such as aragonite (crushed coral) because mbuna love to dig. With mbuna, the more rocks and stuff you have though, the happier they are.
75 gallon Mbuna and Victorian tank (also contains cats and venustus)
5 gallon fry tank
165 gallon turtle pond

Just your average fish keeper tryin to avoid turtle disaster.
Ok I’m done now.
GuitarShark

Postby blondiii_ » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:09 pm

GuitarShark wrote:+1 to adding rocks. Fake decor is great but it doesn’t replace the natural stuff. I would also purchase smaller, finer substrate such as aragonite (crushed coral) because mbuna love to dig. With mbuna, the more rocks and stuff you have though, the happier they are.

I wanted to try to change the substrate but I was quite sure how to go about it, would it be too stressful to my fish to take them out and change it all?
blondiii_

Postby blondiii_ » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:11 pm

Stu W2 wrote:Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder ... I quite like the trunks and artificial plants. I'd remove the pipe fitting and the garbage can guy. IMHO doing so will take the tank to the next level.

Regards,
Stu

Yeah i know those two are ugly haha. But they all really enjoy swimming through the pipe and my boyfriend bought the little oscar the grouch so i figured i had to add it.
blondiii_

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)