Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Background advice

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Background advice

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi all. I want to black out thee back of my tanks which are all currently just clear glass, I want to see how it looks as I here it will look much better. I’m torn on what approach to do this with and need help.
I’ve heard people say use black paint....I kind of like this idea but worry about removing it in time if I change my mind and I have no idea on which paint to use, also I have heard people say it’s a nightmare to get even colour.

I don’t really like the aquarium film as sticky tape just doesn’t do it for me.

Or do I use window tinting with a static cling? I’m a bit lost with it really. Does anyone know which is best, and which is cheapest. Or does anyone know an easy home hack to make my backgrounds Blacked out.

Thanks
Chrislisk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Background advice

Postby Deeda » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:45 pm

You can try black poster board in black or blue if you want to test some colors.

I used latex wall paint in matte black to paint most of my tanks but did it prior to setting them up. I used a paint roller and a brush and it took a couple coats to get the look I wanted. It's also easy to remove with a razor blade if you have a glass aquarium.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Idech » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:02 pm

I used window film that I bought on Amazon. Not expensive, for less than 30$ I could have done 2 or 3 x 75 gallons.

You just cut the film to desired size, peal it, spray water on it, spray water on the tank glass and apply it. Then you just use a plastic tool to press on the window film and remove excess water. Really simple, I’m usually very bad at installing backgrounds and I was done in 15-20 minutes (I took my time not to ruin it, lol).

It’s non-adhesive so you can easily remove it if need be.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B ... n_CA&psc=1
Idech

Postby Stu W2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:15 pm

I've used Tremclad black rust preventive paint and applied it with a 4 inch wide foam roller. Two coats and it's done. Easy to peel it off with a razor blade.

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby Auballagh » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm

As mentioned by Deeda and Stu W2 above, I am a painted back aquarium kind of person as well! And, if you are possibly unsure of 'The Look', you could always do what Deeda suggested and try it out with some craft paper first. In this case, I would strongly recommend that you do this 'try out' sort of thing with the craft paper, on an existing/running aquarium if you have one. You can see if you like it, and change the colors with different craft paper. Because well sometimes, the 'basic black look' just isn't everyone's kinda thing, y'know? As an example of that, one of the coolest backgrounds I can remember seeing was done by a guy with some spray paint. A very dark red color on the bottom was shaded gradually to almost yellow at the top. It was amazing looking! :)
-
So, if you do decide to paint the back? Do it when the tank is complete empty! It will be easy that way, and is kind of a fun project actually. Just turn the tank over on it's side, tape up the sides and plastic top - then have at it. Because doing that kind of work with a full/running tank? Oh well now... that is really NOT much fun at all. :oops:
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby nathanieltyler90 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:08 am

Paint would be best I guess, it's long lasting and cheap. I used matte ocean blue with a foam roller and a brush to add some effects
nathanieltyler90

Postby noddy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:17 am

I have used paint and also cororplast sheets. Easily attached with a few pieces of tuck tape. I personally prefer the light blue but It's available in many colours.

noddy

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)