Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Two Questions About Rocks

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Re: Two Questions About Rocks

Postby Idech » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:23 pm

Auballagh wrote:Oh man, really....? It's the egg crate thing again?!!! :oops:
C'mon... I thought that glass busting myth about heavy rocks chiseling down through and shattering the bottoms out of aquariums had been well, Busted? :roll:
-
I mean through the late 90' and into the mid-2000's egg crate was definitely the thing. We all thought that surely only a FOOL would risk placing those heavy rocks against glass like that, right? I even personally took it a step further, and actively disparaged the use of bottom egg crate by installing a siliconed-in sheet of plexiglass over the bottom glass of my Mbuna tanks (they were a 110XH, and then I 'graduated' to a 150XH). The bottom plexi sheet was supposed to provide this so-called sacrificial scratching layer for the rocks to dig into - protecting the bottom glass.
Ridiculous! And, it was all a bunch of OVER-KILL. Totally unneeded! Trust me, the tempered glass on the bottom of your aquarium can totally handle the weight. Just be gentle when placing the rocks down.
Now, for the sides of your aquarium? Oh man.... Not So Much!
So, if a heavy rock tumbles down off the rockpile, and crashes into the side of your tank? Whew... then you could be in real trouble. Be careful of that. :oops:

I like overkill. I don’t want the bottom of my tank to be all scratched, even though it’s not visible. I didn’t do it thinking the glass couldn’t handle it as this doesn’t make sense; the weight is the same with or without egg crate.
Idech

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Smeagol » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Idech wrote:
Smeagol wrote:My understanding is that you shouldn't have 3 inches of sand. In planted tanks, you need a deep substrate for plants to root. But from what I've read, the conventional wisdom is you should only have 1 to 1.5 inches (max) of sand for mbuna cichlids. But I'm just a newb here; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since cichlids like to dig, 2-3 inches is recommended from what I have read. I don’t see how having that much sand would cause any problems. My fish like to make deep pools in the sand to breed, so I’m happy I gave it to them.

I'm pretty sure I read it in a few threads on this forum.... something about organic waste getting trapped in sand if it's deeper than 1" or so...???
75g = Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, Maingano
20g Planted = Harlequin Rasboras, Lemon Tetras, Amano Shrimp
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 pm

Auballagh wrote:Oh man, really....? It's the egg crate thing again?!!! :oops:
C'mon... I thought that glass busting myth about heavy rocks chiseling down through and shattering the bottoms out of aquariums had been well, Busted? :roll:
-
I mean through the late 90' and into the mid-2000's egg crate was definitely the thing. We all thought that surely only a FOOL would risk placing those heavy rocks against glass like that, right? I even personally took it a step further, and actively disparaged the use of bottom egg crate by installing a siliconed-in sheet of plexiglass over the bottom glass of my Mbuna tanks (they were a 110XH, and then I 'graduated' to a 150XH). The bottom plexi sheet was supposed to provide this so-called sacrificial scratching layer for the rocks to dig into - protecting the bottom glass.
Ridiculous! And, it was all a bunch of OVER-KILL. Totally unneeded! Trust me, the tempered glass on the bottom of your aquarium can totally handle the weight. Just be gentle when placing the rocks down.
Now, for the sides of your aquarium? Oh man.... Not So Much!
So, if a heavy rock tumbles down off the rockpile, and crashes into the side of your tank? Whew... then you could be in real trouble. Be careful of that. :oops:

Man, I hope you're right! Because these rocks seem ridiculously heavy to me.
75g = Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, Maingano
20g Planted = Harlequin Rasboras, Lemon Tetras, Amano Shrimp
Smeagol

Postby Idech » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:20 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Idech wrote:
Smeagol wrote:My understanding is that you shouldn't have 3 inches of sand. In planted tanks, you need a deep substrate for plants to root. But from what I've read, the conventional wisdom is you should only have 1 to 1.5 inches (max) of sand for mbuna cichlids. But I'm just a newb here; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since cichlids like to dig, 2-3 inches is recommended from what I have read. I don’t see how having that much sand would cause any problems. My fish like to make deep pools in the sand to breed, so I’m happy I gave it to them.

I'm pretty sure I read it in a few threads on this forum.... something about organic waste getting trapped in sand if it's deeper than 1" or so...???

Well, I’ve had deep bed aquariums for decades and it’s always worked well for me. Mind you it was planted tanks but it’s just as well with rockscape. You just need to be careful not to go too deep when vacuuming. Also, I have two powerheads in the tank to make sure waste gets filtered. And I’m planning on addind a third one. So waste won’t be a problem !

Waste would be more of a problem if the substrate was gravel, as it slips into the cracks and won’t be moved by water movement into the filter inlet. I wouldn’t have a deep bed of gravel. I have aragonite sand (special grade, which is smaller than regular aragonite).
Idech

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:27 am

Note that you have to be careful not to go too deep. This way any toxins are not disturbed. I would think the Malawi will go all the way to the bottom as usual.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)