South American Cichlids • Biotodoma Cupido

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Biotodoma Cupido

Postby joemc » Sat May 17, 2014 1:01 am

hi Robert, tks for the update on your fish, cool website too.
what frozen foods were you feeding to the fry? the frozen foods available here are not something I buy very often, they are expensive and are mostly water, though they do have their uses, the one I would occasionally buy is lobster eggs.
the fish that are left here in my tank (not collected yet for various reasons) are spawning are at the moment, there was a lull in spawning for the last month or so as fish were netted out to pass on, it seemed to disrupt the whole pecking order in the tank and has taken a while for each to re-establish it's place in the tank, over the last week I have had two batches of eggs, one laid by an F1 female that is 13 months old and fertilized by a male of around the same age, but he lost interest in caring for the eggs after a day or two, probably still got a bit of learning to do, the other spawning has hatched and the fry are now free swimming for the last two days, I decided to offer them nematodes, just to see if they would feed on them, they are taking banana worms and walter worms without any problems, maybe try having a go at feeding these to your next fry, I will load a video of them later, it is a pretty large spawn, maybe 400 fry
joemc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby joemc » Sat May 17, 2014 1:38 am

here they are , the video is poor but I will try take a better one later this evening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii4K8be ... e=youtu.be
joemc

Postby RobertCupido » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:11 am

Ver nice Joe! I think we might have the same breed/type according to the spot. Better Quality Video would help to prove on that. Today a pair is going to spawn again, next try for me.

The second pair has either an infertile male or he does not go over the eggs. Im not sure but they never hatch.

I am still working on my water, it takes a lot of time and effort to change parameters. The PH is 6.6 now, there wont be any poisening by NH3.
There is a lack of No3 which causes a stagnation of the plants, I am mixing a fertilizer (since I have good experience with the ones I tried so far).

Oh I dont know if I mentioned it:

I think the females prefer males with stronger blue markings above and behind their eyes. That is what makes them "alpha" because of its visibility even in certain depth and the strength it promises. Usually, the male has to "back up" its visibility and weaker ones stay undercover in terms of not showing that much markings to avoid stress/rivalty/predators.
RobertCupido

Postby joemc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:20 pm

sorry, I totally forgot to take another video and after relooking at the one I posted it is just a blur :oops:
anyway update on my cupido tank
most of the cupido are now gone to new homes, there were some to be collected this week but I put the guy off for a few weeks as I have had a few spawns in the tank at the moment and decided to raise one last batch, I will post a video in a short while from this evening once it loads onto utube I have two spawns, one just free swimming this evening and one free swimming for 8 days now, plus another pair looking for a spot to spawn, but at the moment the tank is a bit overrun again with Nanochromis transvsstitius and apisto macmasteri pairs with fry, I need to trap a load of them again and remove them as they are worse than snails in a tank once the start to breed. thses cupido will be the last that I raise and I am going to raise them to about 1and a half cm before I give them away

the few fish I kept back from previous spawns and grew on have all spawned now, both males and females, so I can say that captive bred cupido reach sexual maturity by the age of 12-14 months unlike the original fish that were wild caught and took 2 years to reach maturity
joemc

Postby joemc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:28 pm

here goes, probably not much better quality than the last one, but I will have another go at a video tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Gamq6 ... e=youtu.be
joemc

Postby RobertCupido » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:01 am

Love the rocky setup! The female in the corner looks eager to spawn, doesn't she have company by one or more males?

When there is spawning going on, the others can somehow smell and go crazy if nearby. The males try to jump in between the couple and fertilize too or at least fan off some eggs. Even females seem attracted ans get very aggressive. I suspect there are hormones triggered. Its clearly also a matter of the current, the male right from the spawning site wasn't as eager as the male left of it, right in the feromone fallout I guess. It was the infertile one, he might have been treated with drugs or something else. Or maybe he is just taking his time.

The one survivor is a very slow grower, maybe 4cm in 6 month. Its offspring from wildcaught. Also the captive bred cupidos from a friend took 3 years to fully show blue markings in the tail and get everything colored. If they are under pressure by social structure in the tank, they hesitate. Won't show and consequently feed as much as the dominant fish.

Congrats on mastering the breeding so well, I hope I can join the club soon. This time I have a good feeling. No frozen food... Might cause a bacteria explosion or bring in parasites or might be just too much for the small sensitive bellies. I keep you up to date.
RobertCupido

Postby joemc » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 pm

hi Robert, that female in the corner had just settled her fry down for the night, they were only free-swimming that evening, here is a video from yesterday evening showing them out with both parents, both the adults are F1 from previous spawns I had last year. first bit of the video is another pair in the background ( wild caught) with fry 9-10 days free swimming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRVE6lW ... e=youtu.be
joemc

Postby RobertCupido » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:34 am

Hi Joe,

I seperated like 20 after the first day of free swimming in a small extra tank. They're doing great! I really think the problem with raising in the commmunity tank was the frozen food I gave for the adult ones. With that there might have come a sudden rise in bacteria count. So for the next spawns in the tank, I will cut low on frozen food.

Have you managed to breed dicrossus by the way?
RobertCupido

Postby wildcaught dutchman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Lovely photos of beautiful fish.Well done!! :thumb: :D
wildcaught dutchman

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:04 pm

Sweet pic Robert
Iggy Newcastle

Postby joemc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:11 am

hi Robert, great to see you posting pictures of fry! keep the updates coming, what are you feeding the fry?
you should see the blue/green florescent spot on them by day 10, then by day 15 see the black stripe through the eye, it would be great if you can take a photo of it, I just cannot manage to with the camera I use.
yeah I have had Dicrossus spawn in my tanks before, its a good few years since I have kept them now, I will have a look for some videos or pictures of them later.
joemc

Postby joemc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:04 pm

here is a short video of the fry in the previous posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka59WxJ ... e=youtu.be

joemc

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 pm

Coming along nicely :thumb:
Iggy Newcastle

Postby joemc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 am

tks Iggy Newcastle, I just had a look through the photos in the flicker account in your signature. very impressive, some lovely fish and some great shots
joemc

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks Joe! Once in awhile I get a lucky shot...
Iggy Newcastle

PreviousNext

Return to South American Cichlids