South American Cichlids • Biotodoma Cupido

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Biotodoma Cupido

Postby joemc » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:04 pm

looking good, their colours are really starting to show and they will only get better as they mature, I would guess you are really enjoying them now
ps
your photos are pretty good, 100 times better than I can produce
joemc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby RobertCupido » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:54 pm

Wow they're really beautiful! You might see some sharper or rounder fins by now.

I have a female I suspect to spawn in the next couple of days when the air pressure is playing along. Waiting for stormy weather. I will keep you updated.

Your Columbians look very colorful as well!
RobertCupido

Postby everlast » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks for feedback guys, yeah Joe really enjoy keeping these little fish :)
Awesome Robert , hope it all works out :)

I made an observation today which kinda got me excited, I am aware I have a long way to go before my juvenile group even contemplate spawning .......

However where I had a cattappa leaf in the tank it had flipped up onto its end and had stuck in the sand, one of the cupidos dug a little pit at the base of the leaf and has been hanging around the little holow chasing the others away. :)
Interesting behaviour and yeah a little bit of role play from dominant female???
everlast

Postby everlast » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:20 pm

I cant see any noticable difference in the fins of the fish which would clarify the sex of the fish so I might try and get individual photos of em , see if you guys have opinions (if you guys dont mind ofc) :)
everlast

Postby RobertCupido » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:28 pm

Looking forward to it!

I put my Alpha Male back in the tank quite a while ago and he totally changed all the relations. Now, after 2 days of action and showing off, he got a female that was obviously ready and they spawned together in the darkest corner of the tank.

Now the female which spawned last time is still in indecision. The second largest male kind of bullied her lover out of reach and now constantly accompanies her. Very soon I guess, she is going to accept him. Two days ago she already started digging but the biggest and afterwards second biggest male interfered with persistence. Now it seems, they got their way. I hope its gonna be as visible as the last time!
RobertCupido

Postby Coriandre » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 pm

What a great thread with great information. Very hard to find good info regarding this fish on the net.
I am new to SA cichlids and have been into African cichlids for years. I am currently populating a 105 gallon tank with SA cichlids. I started with a group of 5 juvenile Satanoperca Jurupari and a pair of Scalare. The tank has a sand substrat with large pieces of mopani wood, a few plants and a few caves made with rocks. I am looking for calm, less agressive species as a population and visit many fish stores to see what is available. One of the stores had a group of 4 Biotodoma Cupido between 10-14cm in size. Fell in love with the beauty of this fish and I purchased the group. It's been 4 days and they are doing very well. Three of them stick and swim together while the fourth defends a cave gently pushing away invaders. I have no idea how to sex them and there is very little agression between them. I have noticed that when there is a short conflict between two, they open/widen their gills to intimidate. Thank you much for all the great info !!
Coriandre

Postby joemc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:43 pm

welcome along Coriandre, again great to see another keeper of these little fish on the forum, stick up some pictures or a video of your new fish if you can, always great to look at other peoples fish.
RobertCupido, how are your fish doing? have you females guarding a spawn now?.... a few more of your amazing photos would not go astray!
joemc

Postby Coriandre » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Here are some pictures. If you have any ideas on male/female, let me know !
Coriandre

Postby joemc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:24 am

nice fish, they will fatten out in no time now they are in their new home, just keep an eye out in case one starts to get bullied by the other three, if would be really good if you could add another couple to the group. I could not see all fish at the same time so I am not sure if I was looking at the same fish twice, so I would only say it looks like you have one male and two females, a side view of each of the four fish would make life easer trying to sex them, they look like they are under a year old, maybe 8-10 months old, good luck with them.... stick up a video if you get the time, tks for posting
joe
joemc

Postby Coriandre » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks Joe,

I'll get individual pictures of them when I get home tonight and try to capture a video. I bet the male is the one in the back facing left on the last picture ? It is the most agressive one (although very mild). It faces the others with its gills open. I would love to get 3-4 more but, it is a fish that is seldom seen here. They feed very well and come at the surface when I approach the tank. Thanks for the info !
Coriandre

Postby RobertCupido » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:00 pm

Hey Guys!

My guess is that this is gonna be a male - but hard too tell at that age.

I have two females guarding right now. The first eggs should already have hatched. They are very well hidden, the second female also chose a plae with more cover this time. I guess its due to the overall more stressful setting with two couples. The Pit is nearer to the front of the tank - once hatched, Im sure I can get a good view for you all. Heres what it looks like with flash:

Im afraid I cant shoot as much as last time because I dont want to stress her that much (with the flash). I got rid of a lot of tankmates and reduced the pressure further. I also added a lot more structure and hiding places. The males of the two couples really have silenced the whole tank. Nobody wants to get in the way of the breeding pairs. My dicrossus maculatus are too small to pose a thread and I have only one apisto blue steel left. Paracheirodon simulans and Poecilia Caucana are also very small and peaceful tankmates.

Only 1!!! out of the 70 youngsters from the last time survived. He has a size of 2cm right now and is doing fine. I will put him to the others when the young are out of danger - guess in 4 weeks. I have not spotted any wigglers yet, the alpha male is still in suspicion of being infertile... but the female is guarding so I hope it worked out.
RobertCupido

Postby everlast » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Hey there Coriandre....awesome to get more input/photos ....fantastic :)

Very nice Robert, love the way she is tucked away in there like that, such a cool photograph :)
** think Ill add more wood, more leaves..lol**

Ok guys a little question, I have a tankful of angel fry which I have been selling locally to folks but I was gonna choose five of them and put them in my tank...they are very small atm.
I am thinking /hoping the two cichlid groups just leave one another alone and Ill still have my 12 columbian tetra as dithers.

My original plan was to go with some top level shoaling fish but I may just do the angels instead....my thinking is that it will bring the group together??

Ok here is a few shots of my fish .....not individual like I promised I havent got to that yet but I do have a nice shot of what I think is a definite female,male combo.

Ok male /female shot......female the smaller one and the larger I beleive is male , if you look at his dorsal it is developing a little point??
What ya reckon guys?? :)

everlast

Postby Coriandre » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Thank you for welcoming me to the Cupido club !

Amazing pictures ! I love the one of the female hidden in her little nook.

Here are the individual pictures

Fish 1
Fish 2
Fish 3 (on the left) and 2
Fish 4
Coriandre

Postby RobertCupido » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Just to keep you up to date: The second clutch got eaten, probably by the mother itself. Guess she wasn't happy with the spot and to many visitors frequenting around. Also the the male didnt stick around to close - that might have brought up insecurities.

The first eggs of couple one hatched, they're quite a bunch. 100 at least and very well hidden so I can't take pictures by now. I will when they start exploring the tank. Its probably best if there is only one group of fry even if the tank has 2m x 60cm. I started to breed and feed newly hatched brine shrimp Grindal worms will also be fed. Im sticking to living food this time that wont rot in some corner.
RobertCupido

Postby joemc » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:02 am

nice updates lads, enjoyed the photos
everlast, yeah, I agree with you the pictures show both sexes
Coriandre, based on both sets of shots I would say female for the first one,
second pic is a male
third picture is a female on the left and a male on the right and fourth picture is a male
Robert, hope the fish do better this time, with a lot of cichlids it does take a couple of goes for them to get it right. So keep the faith. I presume they are now free swimming? I would guess that the 100 you estimated is more like 200! I am always amazed at how many fish swim from the pile of wigglers that the mother minds. what other fish have you in the tank? if your concern was food rotting on the base of the tank last time it may be worth adding some small bristlenosed cats or similar to help mop it up? the last few spawns of mine have not seen live food at all, with the weather cold I have less available to me and have always been a bit lazy with the brineshrimp hatching :oops:
It is interesting that the male seems to have left a female alone with a spawn, I have not seen that happen, but I am sure it would put the female under pressure to maintain control over her young.
I did have an interesting spawning recently where the male moved to the side and spawned with another female, about 10 inches away and then proceeded to defend both spawns, the females faced off in black colour every time they came face to face, one spawn disappeared at the wiggler stage and the female moved away leaving the other female and the male together with the remaining spawn
joemc

PreviousNext

Return to South American Cichlids