Lake Tanganyika Species • fixing dislocated/lock jaw on calvus

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

fixing dislocated/lock jaw on calvus

Postby joker4466 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:17 pm

i have a juvie calvus that has lock jaw or its dislocated.
it must have had a mouth to mouth battle with another calvus and its jaw is stuck in an extended position.
i want to know how to fix it.can i just push and pull till i get it back in or close to it.i did that on a aulonocara peacock i had and it did get/look better but wasn t totally fixed.but i got it to where it didnt look so bad and it could close its mouth to eat and hold eggs.
joker4466

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby FedEXguy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 pm

How long has it been stuck like that? If you do try to push the jaws closed, be very gentle and slow, and when you get it unstuck, the fish should close its mouth by itself.

I had a fryeri that had that happen once. I could not catch him for the life of me, though. However, he healed up by himself over a couple days. So waiting your fish out may work.
FedEXguy

Postby phishman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 pm

I had one where the top of his jaw was pushed forward locked. I tried to fix it but it was stuck. The fish was fine, but it looked weird.
phishman

Postby joker4466 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:35 am

It has been like that for about a week.
joker4466

Postby m1ke715m » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 am

I've had this happen twice with my copadichromis virginalis gold one time the fish's mouth went back to normal and another time it never got better its been 9 months and her jaw is still messed up.. i think her jaw is broken.. if it doesnt get better in 2 weeks or so its probly permanent.. if the fish is still eating then i wouldnt worry about it.. also altolamps arent mouth brooders so it shouldnt even hinder spawning
m1ke715m

Postby joker4466 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:04 am

What causes this to happen............i have another one with same thing outta group of 7. Big fry
joker4466

Postby m1ke715m » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:53 pm

well idk I've heard that altolamps get the dislocated jaw but I've had 2 copadichromis get it where the top lip looked liek the jaw was broken.. first time it got better in 2 weeks.. 2nd time it hasnt gotten better and its been months.. think her jaw is broken... oh and its from fighting
m1ke715m

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:02 pm

joker4466 wrote:It has been like that for about a week.

It is too late now... it will be stuck for life. If you can push it back within a day, it might stay, and heal itself... otherwise, too long.

Sometimes Alto's will have this happen due to stress, or fighting.... I think they are prone to it.
Fogelhund

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Sadly maybe too late for a good fix for your guy.
If it goes back now it will prob get a "rhino horn" as the bit/ "switch blade" bone (possibly cartilage) will not go back nicely if it has already "healed" in the wrong place.
Good posts on this here.
https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... highlight=

Boy do I wish the forum search did not direct me to google.
It used to help find this stuff.

Oh seems to happen in both calvus and comps. Same thing I think.

All the best James
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby Potus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:03 pm

This issue has come up a number of times on this forum. I've noticed a large portion of those cases people left it alone and the fish was fine. I remember someone else posting that even after they had pushed the jaw back it would continue to become stuck in the extended position. It seems to me you would cause less stress to the fish by leaving him alone. As long as the fish can eat I'm sure it's bothering you more than the fish.
Potus

Re: fixing dislocated/lock jaw on calvus

Postby DanNunes » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:21 pm

I have read many articles about this issue involving Altolamps Calcus and Compressiceps.. One of them talked about a cirurgical procedure to fix the fallen mouth.. I have a friend who is a veterinarian and I asked him to help me. I will let down the video on youtube with the surgery.. but it is important to say some words...

- this was made 1 day after the problem occurs
- I can't warranty this procedure
- there was now 4 months after this and the fish stills ok.. but i can't say it is totally free of problems

So.. if someone wants to try i am not responsable..

Here is the video!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikaLquxLwdk&t=6s

Tks
DanNunes

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species