Aquarium Setup • Stir up gravel?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Stir up gravel?

Postby Dooner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:18 pm

Is it appropriate to stir up gravel before vacuuming? I am developing a rust colored layer under the top inch or so. See pic. Also, my water gets cloudy right away after cleaning out the FX6, normal or should I use more floss?
Attachments
23767BE1-7BB7-487A-9476-DB296A680041.jpeg
DF33D813-F2D7-4FC7-B0A8-C32BA1F5F0AD.jpeg
Dooner

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stir up gravel?

Postby Deeda » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:26 pm

If you are using a Python type gravel vacuum, you shouldn't need to stir up the gravel ahead of time. You can use a single edge razor blade (glass tanks only) for the buildup along the bottom edge of the tank.

I find it common to have some slight cloudiness after starting up a cleaned filter because any gunk in the hoses and tubes gets a burst of water which flushes out the debris. You could use a net filled with floss and hold it on the filter output before plugging the filter back into the power source or clean out the hoses and tubes more often.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Dooner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks, good idea with the net. I have not cleaned the hoses yet (6 months). Maybe I should do that.
Dooner

Postby cyclonecichlids » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 pm

I usually go over once and then dig the gravel vac into the substrate a little bit to suck in the top layer and for it to fall back down.
Mbipia Lutea keeper / breeder in So Cal.
https://www.facebook.com/MbipiaLutea/
cyclonecichlids

Return to Aquarium Setup