Aquarium Setup • Two types of fry

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Re: Two types of fry

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:36 pm

It does not matter what type of filter, it just matters if you have enough GPH. If you already have the air pump sponge filters are fine. You need to run them on the established tank for 2 weeks before adding fish.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby shiftyfox » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Grabbed a custom tank earlier, couldn’t fit a 20G long into the space I have so went for 66cm long, 33cm wide and 30cm high. Hopefully this will be ok for 13 Jalo fry to grow
I assume putting 11 lab fry in their as well isn’t a good idea..?

Is it worth putting crushed coral for substrate like my main tank or bare bottom..?

Few rocks too..?

I put the new sponge filter in the main tank last night, so will leave that in there as suggested for 2 weeks.
When I take it out do I add the fry straight away or should I drop some ammonia in and test it the day after for levels..?
shiftyfox

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:25 pm

It is long enough for 13 but the usual clutch is 20 and I would not want 20 2 inch mbuna in a 26" tank.

Are you just raising these 2 batches? Not an ongoing operation? Seems like you may not have room?

I would not use crushed coral as substrate in a African Rift Lake cichlid tank...if you have to use it a canister filter is better. Is your pH from the tap low?

Bare bottom but with rocks usually works well with fry. You could try testing with ammonia before you add the fry.

Keep the new lab fry separate until the smaller fish are 1/2" long. Then you can mix the fry. Hold out of the adult tank until the fish are 2".
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby shiftyfox » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 am

It was really just an experiment to see if I could raise them to healthy adults.
As you mention you soon run out of room. I have another lab that that will spit in 10 days time, those fry may have to be eaten.
The main problem is I’m not actually sure what to do with them all when they are 2 inches. A few may go into the main tank

If I can’t sell them or give them away I’m kinda stuffed...
Looked at racking last night so all being well I can stack another few tanks above the 66cm

This hobby is costing me a fortune lol, and that’s before I came across lake Victorian cichlids last night, wow those zebra obliquidens are amazing - 4 foot tank minimum..? Can you mix with other Vics or Mbuna or is it species only..?
shiftyfox

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

I like the oblique with haps and peacocks...don't choose overly timid haps and peacocks with the oblique. I've had them in my borleyi tank.

Problem is what can you raise past the fry stage in a 26" tank?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Aquarium Setup