Illness, Health & Nutrition • Red Devil Unusual growth

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Red Devil Unusual growth

Postby GreyOwl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:39 pm

Just recently my 12 year old Red Devil has developed a white growth on his cheek below his eye. It is about 1/2" long and slightly tapered bit not pointed or forked on the end. Local fish store thought some kind of parasite but not sure. I started treatment for parasites but am searching for what it might be. I can get specifics on the tank and conditions later when I get home but he is in a tall 55G tank. Hopefully the pic will work.(pic ended up upside down for some reason)
Charles
Attachments
RedDevil.JPG
GreyOwl

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Red Devil Unusual growth

Postby GreyOwl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:14 pm

Update on tank conditions
Temp 80
PH 7.0-7.5
Hardness 80-100
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 60
Using API General Cure that the local fish store recommended. Directions also said to not run the filter during treatment. I have kept the air pump running to try to keep oxygen levels up.Water is starting to look a bit cloudy but will probably clear up after the water change and filter restart on Saturday.
The Nitrite and Nitrate numbers will probably come down when I do a 50% water change Saturday AM from the directions on the medication.
The white growth has shrunk considerably and turned a more clear color from the bright white it started from.
Lots of views but no comments so I assume this isn't something seen very often.
Charles
GreyOwl

Postby Oscar6 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Dont leave the tank with no filtration. Big fish in small tank will get ammonia burn in no time. GC instructions, like any med recommends removing any carbon, or cartridge with carbon. You need active bio filtration at all times. 60 nitrate is also dangerous and will impede any good the GC may do. I suggest a large volume water change, like right now, and get the filter back up and running. Monitor daily to insure you havent lost cycle. If your filter bio media has been kept submerged, you may still be ok. You MUST restart the filter ASAP. Beyond that you should strive to keep nitrate less than 20ppm at all times
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Oscar6 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Another quick tip.. if the fish is eating, medicate its food instead of the water. Ingestion of meds is far more efficient than waiting on absorption.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby GreyOwl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Haven't had carbon in the filter for quite some time since all has been stable for the past couple of years. The filter, a Fluval 306, has been just shut down but all still wet so will get it back running. I was concerned the medication would harm any biologicals in the filter. I think I will still hold off on the water change until the entire time frame of medication is done though.
Thanks for the information.
GreyOwl

Postby GreyOwl » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Pleased to report that the white growth completely disappeared and did a 60% water change on the 7th. All numbers are good and the Nitrate has dropped to around 20 so will be doing another 30-50% change this weekend. He only has a small circular depression where the white growth was and seems to be getting a little smaller as time passes. The spot is almost straight down from his eye in this pic.
Attachments
IMG_2081.jpg
IMG_2081.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 48 times
GreyOwl

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition