General African Cichlid Discussion • 60 gallon tank stocking

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

60 gallon tank stocking

Postby sullivanbay » Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 am

Hi there,

I’m 100% new to cichlids. In the past I have worked with a 35 gallon tank with gouramis, silver dollars, ID sharks, red tailed sharks ect...

I am planning on getting a new 60 gallon tank (have not purchased yet so open to suggestions about dementions) and I’m wondering what would be a few good starter species and what can mix with each other. I love discus fish but I understand they are a little more advanced and require weekly water changes. I’m looking for something a little more low matence with lots of colour. I would preferably like to have more then one fish in the tank (but open to having one as long as it has lots of personality) and jot something that’s going to shew my hand off if I have to reach in.

I will be doing lots of research before purchasing any fish and letting the tank run for 3-4 weeks prior to purchasing any fish.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
sullivanbay

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 60 gallon tank stocking

Postby DJRansome » Fri May 11, 2018 8:04 pm

If you are interested in African Rift Lake cichlids, go for a tank that is at least 48" long.

You could browse the Old World Cichlid Gallery and pick out your favorite African Rift Lake Cichlid. Let us know what it is and we can help you stock around it.

I just saw that you don't want to do weekly water changes. That leaves African Rift Lake cichlids out. Not sure what options you might have.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby punman » Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Depending on the fish and stocking level you might be able to get away with 50% water changes on about the 10th, 20th, and 30th of the month with Africans. That has worked for me for some of my African tanks over the years. Still that is three times a month. I would think you'd want that minimum with just about any tropical fish tank, cichlid or not.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
135 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby DJRansome » Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Also read about fishless cycling and plan on that taking six weeks. Won't happen in 3-4 weeks.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion