Central American Cichlids • HELP! TERRIFIED CICHLID!

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

HELP! TERRIFIED CICHLID!

Postby PGJE » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 am

HI I am new to this forum. I have a fifty gallon rectangular fishtank, and planning to upgrade to a 100 gallon soon. I have two turtles in the tank, and I got a pleco catfish, hoping it would clean up some of the waste and stuff (did not work that well). I Liked the pleco, and I wanted to get a new fish. I read somewhere that cichlids are probably one of the best fish to go with turtles, so I went to petsmart, and looked for the biggest cichlid there, not wanting the turtles to eat it. The largest one was a texas cichlid, and we got it and brought it home. It has been almost 5 months since we got him, and he is still terrified of me. I don't think it's the turtles, he has no bite marks or signs of fighting on him, and when I peek into the room so that he can't see me, the cichlid is swimming side by side with the turtles. When I come in the room, He stops what he's doing, and darts into hiding. He eats just fine, but he is absolutely terrified of me. I was wondering maybe if it is the tank size? We are planning to upgrade soon, but I don't want the cichlid to live his life in terror. Does anyone have advice or experience with this? :(
PGJE

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: HELP! TERRIFIED CICHLID!

Postby Deeda » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi and Welcome to C-F!!!

What type of hiding places does the fish have to use? This could be plants, rocks or other structures.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby PGJE » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:37 pm

It has this cave that it likes to go in whenever It sees me, and plenty of other places to hide.
PGJE

Postby Old Newbie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 pm

How much traffic around the tank? If there is not much traffic around the tank the fish may never get used to having people around and will hide every time someone gets close.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby PGJE » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:32 pm

I feed them in the morning, and check on them through the day. Then we feed them in the afternoon before we turn the lights off.
PGJE

Postby Oscar6 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:46 pm

An unsanitary environment makes for a stressed cichlid. Contrary to what you read from wherever, turtles and cichlids are a bad match in average sized home aquariums. Turtles are filthy reptiles, are huge contributors to bioload. Unless you are doing 3 large water changes weekly, I would bet water parameters are very cichlid unfriendly. You recognize the need for a bigger tank, that's a positive. I suggest asap on that plan, and even at 100g, do not have turtles with the Tex.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby PGJE » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 pm

yeah we were thinking about getting the cichlid his own tank.
PGJE

Postby joselepiu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Oscar6 wrote:An unsanitary environment makes for a stressed cichlid. Contrary to what you read from wherever, turtles and cichlids are a bad match in average sized home aquariums. Turtles are filthy reptiles, are huge contributors to bioload. Unless you are doing 3 large water changes weekly, I would bet water parameters are very cichlid unfriendly. You recognize the need for a bigger tank, that's a positive. I suggest asap on that plan, and even at 100g, do not have turtles with the Tex.

+1...
joselepiu

Postby PGJE » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:12 am

thank you oscar6, we're going to get a new tank for the cichlid that we can keep in better shape.
PGJE

Postby joselepiu » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:32 pm

:thumb: ...
joselepiu

Postby PGJE » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:57 am

The water pH is 6.8 in the cichlids current tank with the turtles, what would be an ideal pH for a Texas cichlid in a different tank?
PGJE

Postby PGJE » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:59 am

and also how could I raise or lower it if needed? :fish:
PGJE

Postby Deeda » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Can you post the pH for your tap water also?

Take a sample of your tap water and test it now then leave a sample of the tap water out for 24 hours and test it again. The reason for performing 2 different pH tests of your tap water is that sometimes the pH will change after the water rests for 24 hours.

There are methods for raising/lowering pH but it is easier to not have to adjust it every time you do a water change in the tank.
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby PGJE » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:28 pm

I tested the tap water, and it read about 7.6... I am carrying out the 24 hour test right now, and I'll tell you that tomorrow. i read somewhere that a good pH for a texas cichlid would be around 7.5 Is that true, or what should I try to keep it at for him? We are going to get him a 30 gallon or so tank in about a month. How would I keep the pH at the right level?
PGJE

Postby Deeda » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:17 pm

I don't think you will need to adjust the pH at all, assuming the pH doesn't drastically raise or lower over the next 24 hours with the sample water.
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Next

Return to Central American Cichlids