Lake Tanganyika Species • 8x2x2 240 gal wanting to add more fish, suggestions please.

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

8x2x2 240 gal wanting to add more fish, suggestions please.

Postby sapir7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:09 am

Hi, i currently have a 72x18x12 tank with the following stock: 3 lepidiolamprologus nkambae, pair of goldhead comps, pair of white calvus, male black calvus, female sexfaciatus, 1 lepidio hecqui, and a pair of ventralis. i will cull all fry or let them get eaten unless i know for a fact that both parents are the same variant. the main reason i started this thread is because i recently picked up a 8x2x2 240 for my current fish to go in, im looking for any ideas on additional fish especially interested in Enantiopus or some xenos if possible? im open to any suggestions, mainly looking for an interesting community possibly some breeding. Also willing to take some fish out of the equation but the nkambae, sexfaciatus and altos have to stay. any suggestions are welcome just no fronts lol.

thanks in advance :thumb:
sapir7

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby shellies215 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:46 pm

In a tank that big, it would be cool to see a bunch of shell dwellers, but I'm afraid the nkambae might eat them. I think a large group ( 10+) of sand sifters should work.
shellies215

Postby sapir7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:53 pm

thanks for the help shellies, i also have a 34 gallon shell dweller tank with gold occies, when they get big enough to breed i will raise some of the fry and once they get big enough i will give them a corner in the big tank and see how that goes. but like i mentioned before sand sifters really grew on me but i dont want to give up my nkambae because those are my favorite fish. more input would be great.
sapir7

Postby SandBagger » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:04 pm

No experience with a tank that size, but would love to see some pics of your nkambae
SandBagger

Postby shellies215 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:50 am

+1 for pics :popcorn:
shellies215

Postby sapir7 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 am

in person the blue on these fish sparkles, its amazing. i wasnt able to capture the effect with the shi**y iphone camera.

sapir7

Postby triscuit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:47 am

Fantastic tank and fish! :popcorn: However, I think your current fish may be too aggressive for sandsifters although I haven't tried anything like this. Your tank size is helpful, but the lepidiolamprologus nkambae are often rumored to claim every inch of 6 ft tanks.

I would probably suggest another large aggressive neolamp species- Brichardi come to mind, or get some more of the sexfaciatus. I also wonder how a school of jumbo cyps would do...
triscuit

Postby sapir7 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:22 pm

thanks man, originally i ordered a pair of the sexfaciatus but the male died not even 20 minutes after i recieved him not sure why. i will be getting another male and female so i will have a trio, also will be getting a female black calvus. jumbo cyps would look awesome as long as its not too much action? never kept cyps before. and like i said before if the ventralis need to be moved out thats no problem.
the nkambae can get aggressive but mainly to eachother, theyre not too bad with the other fish.
two of them are about 5 inches and give eachother space, theres obviously a dominant one between the two. the third nkambae is about half an inch to an inch smaller and usually gets chased off and chills at the top of the tank or on the other side, im guessing this one is a female and the other dominant ones are males?
sapir7

Postby fmueller » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Did you ever get any fry in the 6' tank with the L. nkambae in there? I am really curious about this. I have never kept L. nkambae, but they are high up on my to-do list. I just never thought they'd work with any smaller fish. I understand they are not really that aggressive, but they are rumored to be phenomenal fry hunters that will strike anything that fits into their mouth with lightening speed. Has that not been your experience?

Just having another look at the pictures, I am wondering if your L. nkambae might not be fully grown yet. How long have you had them, and how large are they?
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby sapir7 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:23 pm

They haven't bred yet hopefully in the 240 they will get some size on them and start breeding. Most people that successfully breed nkambae do it in a species only tank from what I've heard and read. If I don't get any sand sifters I will most likely get 2-3 more nkambae, that will increase the chances of them pairing up. They are excellent hunters and took down minnows in lightning fast speed, I've only fed them live once. They are 4 1/2 inches maybe a fraction more and I've had them for almost eight months.
sapir7

Postby fmueller » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm

I have a hunch that if you go with the sand sifters, the nkambae will help themselves to a bit more life food :D
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby sapir7 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Lol those are some expensive feeders, they live with a little hecqui he's a mean sob tho.
sapir7

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species