Central American Cichlids • My 125 Gallon CA

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

My 125 Gallon CA

Postby truckpoetry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 pm

So, thanks to your help for helping me with stocking suggestions, and timelines and all that. I have now set up my 125g and have a few pics (albeit not so great pics) to share.

First, here is what it used to look like as a 125 gallon rock-filled mbuna tank.

Then I cleared out the rocks and did some housekeeping:

Moved it across the room and re-set it up:

And then after 24 hours, the sand, etc. had cleared:

Will post more soon, but trying to keep to the "max 4 images per post" rule.
Down to one tank. Here it is:
125g
Pleco, 1 JD (M), 1 pink convict (M), 2xFiremouth (M), 1 Red Spotted Gold Severum, 1 Green Terror, Small Handful of various dithers (Silver Dollars, Colombian & Buenos Aires Tetras)
truckpoetry

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby truckpoetry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:51 pm

And here's two bad pics of my EBJD - added yesterday - he's about 2-2.5 inches.

125g
Pleco, 1 JD (M), 1 pink convict (M), 2xFiremouth (M), 1 Red Spotted Gold Severum, 1 Green Terror, Small Handful of various dithers (Silver Dollars, Colombian & Buenos Aires Tetras)
truckpoetry

Postby Bkeen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:57 pm

:thumb: Last pic looks nice
125- Nandopsis Haitiensis
55-Jack Dempsey
46 bowfront-F1 Honduran Red Points
Bkeen

Postby mlancaster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi truckpoetry,

Well done, the new tank set up looks great. I particularly like the pile of small river stones (nice touch) and the black substrate; what type is it? and how much did you use?

Keep us posted on how the cichlids do with each other?

Thanks,
Matt
mlancaster

Postby truckpoetry » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:12 am

The substrate is Tahitian Moon Sand - not sure how much because it was in my prior mbuna tank but it filled up about 1/3 of a 25 gallon Rubbermaid tub when I pulled it out to move it.
125g
truckpoetry

Postby truckpoetry » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:44 pm

OK, so I've finished the initial Firemouth stock (until they pair off and I start getting rid of the unpaired folks or unless I have aggression issues and have to reduce otherwise) with a trio of tiny Firemouths (< 1"). I also added the remaining Giant Danio dithers. Now I am going to try to find the Nics and Synispilums to put in next week and then I'm done, and time to wait and watch them grow grow grow.

Current Stock List (sizes are total head-tail measured with tape measure outside glass so not 100%):
1 EBJD (2.5-3")
6 juvie Firemouths (1-2")
1 juvie pink convict (1.5")
12 Giant Danios
1 Plecostomus (10.75")

still to come
Nicaraguense
V. Synispilum

I'll try to get a few pics soon if I can.
125g
truckpoetry

Postby truckpoetry » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 pm

So, I lost a couple of fish - not sure if they are stressed or which - it was one of the Firemouths from the original trio and one of the danios.... will be checking the water this evening. However, I did get some new pics...

Here's my 11" pleco:

The EBJD, a Firemouth, and a flash of convict:

EBJD:

Convict and Firemouths:
125g
truckpoetry

Postby truckpoetry » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:55 pm

And the other new photos I have as follows.

The Danios:

EBJD and a pair of Firemouths:

Whole Lotta Everybodys:

And the last one for today:

My Nics and Synispilum arrive Friday from Cichlid Station. I'll try to get some new pics in there sometime after that.

Cheers!
125g
truckpoetry

Postby mlancaster » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi truckpoetry,

Thank you sharing the picst, looking good, love the tank decor.

Thanks,
Matt
mlancaster

Postby truckpoetry » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 am

So the Nics and Synispilum are here - great looking fish. In other news, my tank did have a bout with ich - seems to be cleared up now (salt & heat) but waiting requisite 3-4 days after clear up to do a big water change and drop the temp back down (in reverse order).

Lost ONE of the smaller firemouths - did not seem to be much aggression going on, but looked like he had a bite nipped out of his side. I can't tell if that's the cause of death or if the pleco thought he might look like a tasty snack after he was already dead. Either way, I am not necessarily planning on introducing any additional firemouths.

Will try to get pics of the Nics and Synispilum. Synispilum are pulling a neat trick when they hide in the bushes - they turn tiger-striped - a pinkish white with dark black stripes. When in open water, they are silver with no stripes and just dots on tail. Very interesting.
125g
truckpoetry

Postby truckpoetry » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Ich all cleared up - tank back to normal - Synispilum and Nics are in there now. Time to get some pics of them!
125g
truckpoetry

Postby mlancaster » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi truckpoetry,

I am looking forward to the pics. Again, I really like the pile of river stones; I need to start searching to do something similar to that.

Thanks,
Matt
mlancaster

Postby Reiner » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Keep an eye on the Syn once they get to about 7-8". They seem to get more aggressive once they are mature.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

ACA Member
Reiner

Postby truckpoetry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Ugh - lost 2 nics in 24 hours and my Jack is looking tired. I am not sure who the aggressor is - the fact that it was 2 nics makes me wonder if it is the other 2 nics (i.e. they paired up and took out the competition) or if it is someone else (synispilum or jack, hence his tiredness). Unfortunately the aggression there is happening overnight and killing em, so I have not witnessed it. The only "show of force" I have witnessed at all is my pink con and a couple firemouths flaring the gills. That's it.

I knew I would lose some by the time they grew up, but was hoping not so quickly and not to aggression (had hoped I could remove them in time and trade em in).

Now I'm worried if I have a secret bully (synispilum perhaps), that my EBJD is stressed and in danger, and of course, right before Thanksgiving when there will be a couple of days for them to do whatever they will to one another without policing.

Argh.
125g
truckpoetry

Postby truckpoetry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Appears the bully may be the convict. And EBJD not gonna make it. UGH.

Disaster disaster.
125g
truckpoetry

Next

Return to Central American Cichlids