General Aquaria Discussion • National Geographic Fish Shows!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby Marduk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:38 pm

Hey TFG, mind giving more than a few hours notice next time? :lol: I miss it every time!

~Ed
Marduk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby MetalHead06351 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:01 pm

someone caught a 2 foot pacu in the shetucket river out here not to long ago, during the summer. Caught it on an oatmeal ball fishing for carp. It was pretty interesting.
MetalHead06351

Postby Marduk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:02 pm

How'd the heck did a Pacu survive the cold waters in CT? Are they fish from the Amazon?
Marduk

Postby TheFishGuy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:47 am

Fish that we normally keep in 80* water can survive out in nature in 60* water. What they do is go to the shallows and absorb the heat from the sun. Seeing as the sun heats objects and not the air it's how they survive. Also, the larger the fish less you need to use a heater. They can handle a little more cold than most people think....

And yes, the next time I see it's on I'll try and post quicker :lol: But usually I see that it's on when I'm flippin' through the TV guide channel........
TheFishGuy

Postby MetalHead06351 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:46 am

How'd the heck did a Pacu survive the cold waters in CT? Are they fish from the Amazon?

It was during the summer last year. The water temps had to be in the 60's or 70's.
MetalHead06351

Postby convictkid » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:52 am

Actually fish go to the bottom during very cold times because water temperature is much different then air, a layer of warm water will be trapped and insulated in the deeper waters of a lake. or river.
Zachary
--------------------------------------------
10 gallon-planted holding tank for new fish.
30 gallon- few young Jack Dempseys, looking for a pair
75 gallon- CA/SA- 7 tiger barbs, 3 clown loaches, 2 fire mouths, 1 green terror, 1 common plec
convictkid

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion