Lake Malawi Species • Narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Pic one:

Poll ended at Sat May 19, 2007 12:22 pm

B. rhoadesii
10%
F. rostratus
57%
Tyrannochromis
33%

Total votes : 21

Postby why_spyder » Wed May 09, 2007 12:35 pm

I only see two choices to vote for.
why_spyder

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby justin323 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:23 pm

I had that problem posting a poll as well. It seems if you add another question and just leave it blank it will show your last question.
Too many cichlids too little time(And money,and space)
justin323

Postby straitjacketstar » Wed May 09, 2007 2:01 pm

I votes fossie. Even after readin Tyrannochromis is a an option. I like the look of fossies better than either of the other two.
straitjacketstar

Postby Something Fishy » Wed May 09, 2007 11:54 pm

I have all three and my favorites would be the Fossorochromis and Tyrannochromis over the Buccochromis. I voted for the Rostratus but in the end you should just get what you really want rather than letting us tell you what to get.....
Something Fishy

Postby noki » Thu May 10, 2007 12:18 am

Fossochromis are more natural schooling fish, would make a better group I would guess. You could keep multiple males. And are cool.

Why not add a group of Cyrtocara moorii which are another over sand schooling fish which would contrast nicely. Or maybe a group of Phenocheilus Tanzania which seem like a mellow mix with Fossochromis... the male Phenocheilus could compete with the male Rostratus for most multichromatic blue/silver coolness... would be nice I could dream.

What about Champsochromis ... would be cool torpedo predators, an impressive large tank group I should think.
A large Buccochromis male would be huge and probably incredibly beautiful multicolour... don't know how a group tank would work in the long run.

I could only dream...
noki

Postby Fogelhund » Thu May 10, 2007 10:07 am

You won't need a bigger tank than you have, for Champs. I bred them in a 6ft ~ 150 gallon for years. The tank was a big of an oddball shape though, 6ft x 24" wide x 20" tall.
Fogelhund

Postby Fogelhund » Thu May 10, 2007 5:45 pm

One male, three females. The Champs would go well with phenochilus, but I don't think they'd mix well with Fossie's (and be their best).
Fogelhund

Postby bigfishferd » Thu May 10, 2007 6:59 pm

My champs 1m/1f and rostratus 1m/1f get along fine and ignore each other for the most part. Although there are quite a few other species in this tank which might help keep their attention elsewhere, I think just the two species would work. This is just my experience though, yours could be different.

Here is a pic of my champ to help entice you.

John
180g-F.rostratus 1m, B.nototaenia 1m, P.phenochilus 1m,P.spilonotus(Tanz.)1m, O.lithobates 1m, P.milomo 1m, N.fuscotaeniatus 1m, P.taeniolatus 1m, D.strigatus 1m, C.borleyi 1m, A.baenschi 1m
75g-FH
55g-growout
40g-growout
bigfishferd

Return to Lake Malawi Species