Aquarium Setup • New Tank Syndrome – Initial Stocking

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

New Tank Syndrome – Initial Stocking

Postby FredinNY » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 am

Hi everyone,
I’m setting up a 75-Gallon Lake Tanganyika Tank, and I have a question regarding how I should add these fish to their new home.

Just a little info about the tank (in its current state)…

A 75 Gallon Display tank with a 40-Gallon Sump
The aquascape includes Aragonite sand and some crushed coral to buffer the PH, many pounds of Seiryu Stones that have been glued in place (to protect the Cichlids that like to dig), and a few hardy low-light plants.
The tank has been filled (no fish yet) and filtering for about 5-weeks.
Current water test readings show 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and 10-20 ppm Nitrates.

I’m working with my local fish store to order 4-species of Lake Tanganyika fish for this tank. Approximately 20 juvenile fish (1-2 in size).

Neolamprologus multifasciatus
Neolamprologus leleupi
Julidochromis transcriptus
Cyprichromis leptosome

However, I’m realizing that his shipments are very erratic. If I’m fortunate enough to get everything I ordered, it will probably take months. What he does receive will most likely arrive in small partial shipments.

I’ve seen many videos about ways of acclimating new cichlids into an existing tank in order to minimize aggression, but that’s difficult for me to do. Most of my aquascape is glued in place, and once I place a fish in there it will be nearly impossible to get him out. Because of this my thought was to add all the fish at once (I know this is frowned upon). Just prior to stocking the tank I would be able to move several bags of bio-media and a couple of small sponge filters from an existing tank into the sump. I’d also start dosing the tank with Seachem Stability. My tank is already showing signs of cycling, so this would add to the beneficial bacteria that already exists.

My Dilemma…
Should I stick to my original plan of stocking this tank all at once, even though I may not be able to do that for another month (or longer), or should I slowly add the fish I ordered as they are received (and hope there’s limited aggression when I do so)?

Appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks.

Fred
FredinNY

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New Tank Syndrome – Initial Stocking

Postby Central » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:34 am

In my opinion, stock the tank all at once. This will allow all the fish to stake out their micro-territories at the same time. Adding fish today, then later, then later again will cause aggression and fighting.
Central

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:36 am

Sounds like stocking all at once is not possible for you, please confirm?

I would stock either the leleupi or the multifasciatus...leleupi tend to kill even adult shellies by dragging them out of their shells repeatedly to get to the fry.

Why not go to a reputable online vendor (PM me for recommendations) and have a better chance of getting them all at once? I do not frown on this at all, but I also recommend you cycle with ammonia before you add fish.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby FredinNY » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:54 am

Thank you for the posts.
At some point I believe I will be in a position to stock the tank all at once... I'm not sure exactly when that will be however. I expect that my local store will get shipments in sporadically as opposed to all of the fish coming in at once.

I didn't believe that leleupi that aggressive. If it makes a difference I was planning on about 6 Multies to only two Leleupi.
FredinNY

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:16 pm

No difference. I ignored this advice that was given to me years ago when stocking a 72" tank and found it later to be 100% true.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby FredinNY » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Appreciate the advice.
This is first and foremost a shell dweller tank, so I will opt not to include Leleupi.
Any recommendations on a fourth species that would "play nice" with the remaining three fish I'm including?
FredinNY

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Altolamprologus.

One inch is really tiny. You may have trouble with the cyps surviving at such a small size.

You will want to end up with 12 cyps, 2 calvus, 2 julidochromis and 6 shellies. I recommend you start with six julidochromis and six calvus and let them form a pair over time, rehoming the rejected fish.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby FredinNY » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:50 pm

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
I used to pass through your neck of the woods many years ago as I frequently visited family in mystic Isle. I have a lot of fond memories of that area as a child...actually learned how to swim at the lake in town...lol.
Thanks again
FredinNY

Return to Aquarium Setup