Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Is this safe for the aquarium?

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Is this safe for the aquarium?

Postby MikeyJB » Thu May 27, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi,

I received a package of holey rock and a few lumps have a few chunks of this brown rock on them, are they safe to use? I was thinking of chipping it off but I won't be able to get rid of it all.

75G - Mbuna - under construction
MikeyJB

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Is this safe for the aquarium?

Postby Stu W2 » Sat May 29, 2021 11:40 pm

Hello MikeyJB,

Looks to me to be some sort of lava rock. I'd not hesitate to try it although I'd position it in such a way that it was used as the base rather than the crown of the display. Just for aesthetic reasons.

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby Auballagh » Sat May 29, 2021 11:56 pm

Yes, it's probably safe. And is, probably aggregate picked up in and around the quarry boundaries.
But, a little prudence can certainly go a long way in sorting these things out, hmmmm?
So, what would I do? WWAD?.....
- Place one (?) of the affected rocks in a bucket or tub. Let it soak for a couple days. Then vigorously scrub and scrape at the aggregate area. is it rock? Or, REALLY hardened clay/caliche deposits on your Texas Holey Rock? If that stuff just doesn't come off of the rock after that? Good! It belongs there. :)
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby Central » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:54 pm

I don't see any reason to hesitate. It doesn't appear to have any metallic substances. It almost looks like a very hardened clay. I know I'm a few days late to the post but letting it soak in a water change bucket for a day or two might be a wise idea if you're uncertain. If nothing else, it'll clean the surface before you add it into the tank itself.
Central

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)