Lake Tanganyika Species • New to Tanganyikans

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: New to Tanganyikans

Postby wryan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:44 am

sir_keith wrote:Tanganyikans are wonderful, but they are also challenging and interesting, which is why so many people are attracted to them. And not colorful? Poppycock.

a7fed05af2622df3bfbc39ee124b515e.jpg

sir_keith,

Just curious - what is the fish in the picture above ?
wryan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:21 pm

wryan wrote:
sir_keith wrote:Tanganyikans are wonderful, but they are also challenging and interesting, which is why so many people are attracted to them. And not colorful? Poppycock.

a7fed05af2622df3bfbc39ee124b515e.jpg

sir_keith,

Just curious - what is the fish in the picture above ?

Cyathopharynx foai.
Fogelhund

Postby sir_keith » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:23 pm

DJRansome wrote: ....I read that too about water stability in a larger tank, but I have never had that experience...even in 10G...

This is just so misleading. It's Chemistry 101, and to suggest that volume has no effect on the stability of an aqueous system is just plain wrong. There's an excellent little book on these and related matters called 'Fish and Invertebrate Culture. Water Management in Closed Systems,' written by Stephen Spotte, former curator of the New York Aquarium, published by Wiley-Interscience.
sir_keith

Postby sir_keith » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:27 pm

Fogelhund wrote:Cyathopharynx foai.

Yes, thanks; you beat me to it. :)
sir_keith

Postby wryan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks !

It's certainly a beauty.
wryan

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:59 pm

wryan wrote:Thanks !

It's certainly a beauty.

When the indirect light hits them at the right angle, and they are showing off, some of the locale variants are amongst the prettiest fish anywhere. To experience this in the aquarium, means a pretty good sized tank, 6ft minimum, with no other tank mates, just a school of foai.

Even then, they are going to be silver at times, but when they do flare up, and indirect light hits them... they are something else for sure.
Fogelhund

Postby sir_keith » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:16 pm

Fogelhund wrote:When the indirect light hits them at the right angle, and they are showing off, some of the locale variants are amongst the prettiest fish anywhere. To experience this in the aquarium, means a pretty good sized tank, 6ft minimum, with no other tank mates, just a school of foai.

Even then, they are going to be silver at times, but when they do flare up, and indirect light hits them... they are something else for sure.

Totally agree. Many of the Tanganyikans, including pretty much all of the featherfins and sand-sifters, have iridescent scales, and show up best in natural, reflected light. I try to keep all my tanks confined to my fish room, which doesn't get much light, but I couldn't resist putting one 125 in the TV room, which gets lots of indirect, natural light all afternoon.

For sure 72" is a minimum tank size for Cyathopharynx. I am hoping to make space for a 240 Long (96 x 24 x 24) sometime soon. :)
sir_keith

Postby Fielder » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:18 am

Our city water is pH 8.0 and we all here love 76 degrees for a room temperature. So there are no heaters in our tank and the house is always 75 to 77. No salts added to the water, just tap water straight from faucet. Change water and vacuum every month or so with a couple teaspoons declorinater added. The pebble coated PVC caves just lift up to clean under, no unstacking rock cave walls to clean like some Mbuna keepers.
The only filter is two giant sponge filters inside the tank 5 inches wide, 8 inches long powered by 2 large powerheads. No chance of water draining out the tank onto the floor (living room carpet). Easy peasy to maintain huge Frontosas stay in one place doing their stautue imitations, all the better to get a good look at them anytime. They aren't going to waste energy swimming around. They just remain still and look bull dog mean wearing perpetual frowns.
Fielder

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species