Unidentified Cichlids • Lake Malawi ID Help!

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Lake Malawi ID Help!

Postby robdrumms » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:50 pm

The attachment Malawi Cichlid 1.jpg is no longer available
Can someone help me with an ID of my newest fish? I can get a better picture if this one is not detailed enough. (The fish at the top of the pic is a Eureka Red Jake)
Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_2859.jpg
robdrumms

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Lake Malawi ID Help!

Postby james1983 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm

Aulonocara Lwanda
james1983

Postby robdrumms » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Thanks for responding. I certainly don't know a lot about Cichlid breeds but the Lwanda examples on the internet are a bit different than mine. His mouth seems to turn "upwards", almost like he has a larger "chin" and a smaller nose than other examples. Could just be a hybrid too I guess.
robdrumms

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 am

robdrumms wrote:Thanks for responding. I certainly don't know a lot about Cichlid breeds but the Lwanda examples on the internet are a bit different than mine. His mouth seems to turn "upwards", almost like he has a larger "chin" and a smaller nose than other examples. Could just be a hybrid too I guess.

Yours does look quite a bit like a lwanda to me as well. It just looks like an older, often beaten up fish, which can cause the variances you speak of.... or, it could be a hybrid, impossible to know.
Fogelhund

Postby robdrumms » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Thanks for the info on my last post. It certainly was a Lwanda!!

My tropical fish store had a handful of 2” random Cichlids that he sold me for cheap. Some of them have started to color up and might be some great fish but there’s one I just can’t figure out. He’s getting some blue color throughout and no stripes. Seems to have the makings of a yellow top to the dorsal fin. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!
Attachments
FEA3AED2-8771-45B6-9309-C1C250FC59DA.jpeg
robdrumms

Postby noki » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 pm

Electric Blue Fryeri or hybrid of Fryeri. Juvenile is too long in body to be Aulonocara, much closer to Scienochromis fryeri which males get very nice blue, but may be a Fryeri X Aulonocara hybrid which are common.
noki

Postby robdrumms » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 pm

Thanks for the help! I’ll keep an eye on him as he grows to see if you’re right!!
robdrumms

Postby Haplochromine guy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:58 am

Hybrid Fish aren't that Valuable. I'd say he's/she's a Hap because there's no spots on the tail.
Haplochromine guy

Return to Unidentified Cichlids