Lake Malawi Species • Adding new Mbuna

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Adding new Mbuna

Postby Ustasi » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:48 pm

After having an unfortunate heater malfunction and loosing 12 of my 25 fish, I am now finding its time to repopulate the tank (with an Inkbird temperature controller added!!)

I am also taking the opportunity to re-scape and double the amount of rock I have in the tank. Current plan is to net the remaining fish, pop them into a tub with a heater and powerhead (unfortunately its just not practical to dismantle the filer pipework to add that on too), drain, remove the old rocks and start again with the scape. My question is which of the below options is best

1 - Am I best to get the new fish first and have them acclimatising whilst rescaping. If so add them first or second (I imagine they will be smallish juveniles but as I haven't bought them yet I dont know what sizes available)?

2 - Rescape, add the old fish then go get the new fish afterwards, hopefully same day if not next day.

Fish are Yellow Fin Acei, Yellow Labs, Rusties, Polit (female only) and Demasoni
Ustasi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Adding new Mbuna

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:55 pm

You will have to quarantine the new fish in a separate tank. I would get them 3 weeks ahead of time and add all the fish to the newly rescaped tank at the same time.

Plan on having the existing fish in the tub for two hours (less may not be possible) since you will not have a filter.

Build the new scape on a table so once the fish are out you can quickly rebuild inside the tank with your arrangement already decided.

You are doubling the bio load so don't wash/wipe filters, glass or rocks to maintain beneficial organisms as much as possible. Do not change substrate.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fishboy75 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:48 pm

Also, could seed a sponge filter in the tank for a few weeks and add that to the tub so you wouldn't have to worry about ammonia building up.
fishboy75

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:15 am

The best time to rescape your tank would be right before you add new fish. DJRansome has it spot on. Build your scape on the table/floor. Go and get your fish. Add the new rocks and then the fish. Stocking in one lump would be better if you already have a family of wet pets in there.

+1 on Demasoni though. Possibly my favourite fish in the entire world. Stunning!
TomTheCichlid

Return to Lake Malawi Species