Lake Malawi Species • Albino yellow labs

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Albino yellow labs

Postby Grinchy72 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:34 am

Thank you for your response. All the fry from this batch have black eye and either stripes like the little one in the picture or are coloured the same as mum.
So is the ocular albinism something that can be passed on? In all honesty I was kinda hoping for a couple like dad, because whilst some may think it odd I actually really like him. He stands out in the tank.
Grinchy by name, Grinchy by nature....
Grinchy72

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby sir_keith » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:45 pm

Grinchy72 wrote: ...So is the ocular albinism something that can be passed on?...

Yes, of course, but the inheritance is not simple, as follows. If a male carrying the recessive, X-linked ocular albinism mutation (oca-) is crossed with a wild-type (i. e. normal) female, all of their progeny in the first generation (F1) will appear normal. None of the F1 males will carry the ocular albinism mutation (oca-), because they all inherit their X-chromosome from their mother, and their Y-chromosome from their father. However, all of the F1 females will be carriers of the oca- mutation, because they inherit one X-chromosome from their father and one X-chromosome from their mother. These individuals will appear normal because the oca- mutation is recessive. So in order to produce fry that show the ocular albinism phenotype, you would need to backcross F1 females back to their father, i. e. to you original male. It works like this-

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 9.26.07 AM copy.jpg
sir_keith

Postby Grinchy72 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Ahh, I see. Thanks
Grinchy by name, Grinchy by nature....
Grinchy72

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species