Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Do these eggs look normal?!?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
I have lost 3 batches of eggs recently, and I'm just getting back into fish keeping. I have yellow lab pair, yellow tail acei and a couple of peacock I'm not sure the species on. I just stripped the peacock again today, and before I was using a diy tumbler, but recently purchased a real tumbler to see if that helps. The eggs in there now are a dark tan, and cream color. Some of which almost look two toned. I'll attach a picture of the female and the male I believe mated with her, and the eggs. I just want to know if these eggs look normal or something is wrong, and also if anyone knows the species in order to get her a correct mate. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd say they look normal, but if they turn white in two or three days, they have either gone bad or were not fertilized.

If some turn white, and others not, you need to get the bad white eggs out.

#3 ·
I know what you mean. One was white when I stripped her, so I got rid of that one right away. Do you see what I mean by the two colors? I wasn't sure if you could tell from the picture I took...there's a few that look to have a small dent where it's lighter towards the tip. Also, any idea on the species?

#4 ·
jstrat302 said:
I know what you mean. One was white when I stripped her, so I got rid of that one right away. Do you see what I mean by the two colors? I wasn't sure if you could tell from the picture I took...there's a few that look to have a small dent where it's lighter towards the tip. Also, any idea on the species?
This is perfectly normal- the animal and vegetal poles of an egg have very different compositions, and often appear to be different colors. Google 'polarity in embryogenesis' for more info.

#5 ·
1. are you sure that was the male? Zebra Obliquidens, and looks female, no male color. The yellow fish sticking it's head into the shot is an Auratus
2. the female is very much a cross genera hybrid, no name
3. not sure why you want to save these eggs, if the eggs are good the mother usually does take good care, let nature take care of it

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. The reason I thought it was male is due to it "protecting" the holding female both times she's held. That's definitely the fish though...and I know about the Auratus. I've been told if I get a male for her, he'll be the ass-hole of the tank. I stripped her because I'm pretty much positive the fry wouldn't last in my community tank.

#7 ·
Haplochromine mouthbrooder males don't protect, they might chase the female away when there is no more eggs to drop, and then look for another female. If you show us the other fish in the tank, we might guess who might be most likely to be the father.

You can still get the mother to spit out the fry after the babies have hatched, and she has done the hard part. I know you want to save babies, but if the fish are healthy these fish do breed constantly.

#8 ·
jstrat302 said:
Thanks for the info. The reason I thought it was male is due to it "protecting" the holding female both times she's held. That's definitely the fish though...and I know about the Auratus. I've been told if I get a male for her, he'll be the ass-hole of the tank. I stripped her because I'm pretty much positive the fry wouldn't last in my community tank.
Yes, you want to avoid having a male auratus in the tank for sure, good call there.

If you have enough hiding spots, a few fry may survive. That being said, the mother is a hybrid, and chances are, the babies will be even more hybridized. (is that a thing?) I know that you want to raise some babies, but I would encourage you, to choose to do so, with fish that it would be ok to distribute, when you get too many of them. If you get some nice quality Yellow Labs for example, and they you can do the whole baby raising thing, and enjoy it.

#9 ·
Fogelhund said:
...If you have enough hiding spots, a few fry may survive. That being said, the mother is a hybrid, and chances are, the babies will be even more hybridized (is that a thing?). I know that you want to raise some babies, but I would encourage you, if to choose to do so, with fish that it would be ok to distribute, when you get too many of them. If you get some nice quality Yellow Labs for example, and then you can do the whole baby raising thing, and enjoy it...
I agree completely. Yes, it's fun to raise fishes, that's why many people keep cichlids in the first place, but if you're going to do that, raise fishes that you can sell or distribute to other hobbyists in good faith, not hybrids.

BTW, being 'even more hybridized' is certainly possible. If you cross species A with species B you have an A/B bispecific hybrid. If you cross an A/B hybrid with species C, you have an A/B/C trispecific hybrid. So the genotypes (and phenotypes) become progressively more compromised and unpredictable, except perhaps, for increased mortality. Sad. :(

#11 ·
Just letting everyone know, none of the 19 eggs appeared to be fertilized. They turned white and even looked to have a transparent section on each of the eggs in the middle. I've made the decision to only keep the eggs from the yellowtail acei, yellow labs, or convicts...and yes the convict pair are in their own separate tank by themselves. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.