Lake Malawi Species • A cool little specimen.

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

A cool little specimen.

Postby CichlidNewbie2020 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:02 am

I'm no enemy of hybrids as of right now. I found this one at Meijers the other day while passing the fish aisle on my way back from getting groceries :lol: . It was sold to me as a "mixed mbuna" species for about $6. :thumb: I loved the color, from the dark blue / sometimes purple body to the orange tipped fins and bright orange egg spots. I got him into my temporary (while my 55 natural Malawi scape aquarium cycles) 40 breeder tank with the other 2.5" mbuna successfully, his color stayed consistently and this one prefers not to be the bully so I am excited about that. Within the next few weeks, it won't have to stress about moving again. What do you guys think about this little fish? :fish:
Attachments
20201209_024101.jpg
CichlidNewbie2020

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: A cool little specimen.

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:06 am

It has a fright pattern for now, so it's hard to say what it is for certain. Looks a bit like Melanochromis joanjohnsonae though.
Fogelhund

Re: A cool little specimen.

Postby james1983 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:30 am

Fogelhund wrote:Looks a bit like Melanochromis joanjohnsonae though.

This was my guess when I first saw the pic also. They end up being nice looking fish if it is joanjohnsonae. I've been coming across these alot at petsmart lately. Good looking fish either way.
james1983

Return to Lake Malawi Species