Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New multi aquarium

4K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  fishybuisness 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have recently started a 10g aquarium I plan on getting multifasciatus or brevis. I got the normal variety of sand so added crushed coral in a bad behind my filter. I'm working on getting it to the correct parameters for now. How many shellies should I get and does should I display the rocks on the back. Thanks as I'm new to Tanganyikans! Oh I should add I'm working on finding escargot shells.

#6 ·
A rock or two to please the fishkeeper if you like. Multies like to form a colony so lots of shells in a pile...not all that likely to fight. Brevis like to form pairs and share a shell so trios of shells in clusters with sand between.

#10 ·
fishybuisness said:
My water is usually 7.4 without adjustment, do you think that would be okay for them?
Not if you want them to be at their unstressed best. The problem with near-neutral tap water is that it has very little buffering capacity, and any drop in the pH will make any Tanganyikan very unhappy. So if you are adding more gravel, by all means use Aragonite (a buffer that will help maintain a high pH), then gradually adjust the pH upwards using something like SeaChem Tanganyika buffer. I have been keeping Tanganyikans exclusively for ~20 years, and I maintain all my tanks at pH 8.8-9.0. Good luck! :thumb:

#11 ·
sir_keith, I have not found aragonite substrate to increase pH or KH over a period of 10 years. Sand and aragonite...same result. I am starting with pH=7.8 and KH=7.

Have you had a different experience with aragonite?

#12 ·
DJRansome said:
sir_keith, I have not found aragonite substrate to increase pH or KH over a period of 10 years. Sand and aragonite...same result. I am starting with pH=7.8 and KH=7.

Have you had a different experience with aragonite?
We've discussed this topic at length in several threads, the most recent of which is here- https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=452285&p=3134623#p3134623.

To summarize- Aragonite is not a means to increase the pH of an aqueous solution, it is a means to buffer ( i. e. stabilize) an aqueous solution at an alkaline pH. This is particularly important in a small aquarium, in which pH fluctuations can be dramatic (less water = less buffering capacity). More information about the underlying chemistry can be obtained by searching for 'acid-base equilibria.'

#13 ·
So if you want a pH higher than 7.4 first you increase it by using an additive like baking soda and then you buffer it with a substrate like aragonite or crushed coral in the filters?

#14 ·
DJRansome said:
So if you want a pH higher than 7.4 first you increase it by using an additive like baking soda and then you buffer it with a substrate like aragonite or crushed coral in the filters?
Exactly. In such a tank, the pH will be much more stable over time, as wastes etc. accumulate, than in a tank without the aragonite buffer. This is particularly true if you want to maintain a high pH. For my tanks, which are maintained at pH8.8-9.0, I use aragonite as the substrate, rather than in the filters, because then I don't have to change it for many years. It's also pretty (IMO), and just the right consistency for both sandsifters and shellies.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

#21 ·
This conversation about how much substrate one should have with Multi's is amusing, because the Multi's are going to rearrange the gravel to their liking no matter what you do, and your tank will most likely end up looking like the tanks on the bottom level, shown here-

IMGP6698.jpg

#22 ·
I do understand that Multies will move a substantial amount of sand around and bury a lot of the shells which is entertaining in itself.

I also find that some Multie keepers complain that they don't like to see huge piles of sand burying shells and feel the need to level out the substrate frequently so they can enjoy seeing the interaction among the fish defending shells and raising fry.

My choice was to reduce the amount of sand and increase the amount of shells so that everyone was happy and could still move the substrate around to their liking without ending up with huge piles of sand obscuring my view.

#25 ·
Deeda said:
I do understand that Multies will move a substantial amount of sand around and bury a lot of the shells which is entertaining in itself.

I also find that some Multie keepers complain that they don't like to see huge piles of sand burying shells and feel the need to level out the substrate frequently so they can enjoy seeing the interaction among the fish defending shells and raising fry.

My choice was to reduce the amount of sand and increase the amount of shells so that everyone was happy and could still move the substrate around to their liking without ending up with huge piles of sand obscuring my view.
Plus one. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.