Lake Malawi Species • Jacobfreibergi

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Jacobfreibergi

Postby DJRansome » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:58 pm

They are too big and too aggressive. You also don't want both of them in a tank.

I had a taiwan reef in my all male tank and he was too aggressive, I had to remove him. But if you can't get anything else, you might try the reef if you have a rehoming plan. Also borderline too big. The reef is better than the empress/tiger.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby BigBeardDaHuzi » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Might be ordering the tank today. So it's 1-2 months off from fish, but things are coming together
BigBeardDaHuzi

Postby DJRansome » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:43 pm

How are you going to cycle?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BigBeardDaHuzi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:23 am

Media from another tank, a bottle of bacteria (it can't hurt, maybe it will help) and a couple shrimp from the market to provide ammonia. No rush.

I was thinking about getting a bucket of water, a sponge filter and a few bags of ceramic rings going while the tank is being built too. I don't know if this is worth doing or not. There would be more 'ready to go bacteria when the tank is installed, but bacteria blooms pretty quickly once you have the right kinds, doesn't it? The media from my planted tank will be a bit limited.
BigBeardDaHuzi

Postby DJRansome » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:29 am

Bottled bacteria does not have a good track record with Members. We have a lot of posts helping people save their tanks. Skip the shrimp and use ammonia...see reference to the article below.

It takes six weeks for a a cycle on average, but yes worth doing the process in a bucket since you have about that much time. Read the article about fishless cycling with ammonia in the Cichlid-forum Library.

You don't want to add fish until there are enough "ready to go" bacteria or organisms in your filters. And when stocking an all-male tank you can save on shipping if you buy them all at once.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species