Cichlid Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stocking idea for a Cichlid community tank // 40G

16K views 44 replies 7 participants last post by  OuiBonjour 
#1 ·
Hi there!

( I originally posted in the Lake Malawi section but feel free to suggest me some stocking ideas from other lakes as I would not mind a tank from another Lake, even from another Continent )

I have a 40 gallon that is 36" long.

I emptied it a while ago as I wanted to change the substrat from gravels to sand since I wanted to get some Lake Tanganyika shell dwellers. At the moment my tank is empty, but its HOB filter is still running in a 5 gallon with plants, a massimo ball and sometimes some fish food to keep the bacteria alive. Hopefully, when I will refill the 40 gallon and bring its filter back, I won't need to cycle the tank again as the bacteria will still be alive.

I also have a large sponge filter with an electric pump that I also plan on using if necessary.

My plan was to go with Multifasciatus, but them being so small I feel like it would be a waste of a nice 40 gallon when I could get them a 10-15-20 gallon and they'd still have lot of place to create a nice thriving colony. So I still want them, but for my second-to-next project.

So now I'm open to suggestions for my 40 gallon / 36" .

This will be my first Cichlid tank, and even though I read a lot about Multifasciatus, Cyps, and Paracyps and could say I'm starting to know them decently, I am a complete virgin for other Cichlids (African, South American, etc). The closest I've had was a German Blue Ram, which I loved.

Anyways, this time I would like to have cichlids that are bigger than Rams, but not so big that I end up getting only 2 or 3 fish in my tank.

If possible, I'd like a community tank, even though I know it might be complicated in a 36" tank.

I have a specific look that I like with my cichlids, and it's the punk look. So a big and long dorsal fin that is pointing up. I don't like bulky fishes like Oscars or those with a big lump on their head. I'm not a fan of the shape of most juliies neither.

Here are a list of a few fishes that I like their looks (note that I know they're all from region and they don't fit together, it's just to help you guys visualise the look I like haha)

- I absolutely love the look of the Caudopunctatus
- I also love the shape of the Multifasciatus (but would like bigger), as well as Similis (same thing, would like them bigger)
- I love shapes and looks of German Blue Rams (but looking for bigger) and Bolivian Rams, but would like something bigger too.
- I love the shape and look of a lot of Apistos too, like the Caucotuoid (even though then I prefer their dorsal fin to be of equal length - while the Caucotuoid has longer in front and back)
- I LOVE the look of Aulonocaras A LOT, like pretty much all of their colors - but know nothing about them
- I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE LOOK OF THIS FISH BELOW (but I'm not sure about the type - The seller said it was a Firefish very rare when pink, and that it was 6 inches, but I cant find others online) :

So yeah, I think you pretty much can see the pattern I like. Big and long dorsal fin. No need for them to be electric blue or multicolored or anything, but there's that specific look that I like.

(oh, and besides that specific look, there is also the Pseudotropheus saulosi that I like, even though they dont fit the pattern)

I don't know if they'd fit but some setup I could imagine having would be, I dont know, maybe some Caudopunctus, some Saulosis, and maybe some Similis at the bottom ?

Or maybe one of those pink beauties pictured above, a calvus, and some Caudopunctus.

I don't really know, those are the cichlids I know by names, but I'm open to any suggestion.

If possible I would like to avoid species that you need to buy 6 at first, then wait for a couple, and then sell back the others. I'd like fish to stay with me. I don't need fish that breeds because I know it could cause some agression and my tank is kind of small for fighting.

So yeah, please give me suggestion of stocking. If possible, the amount I should get for each one.

My tap water pH is 7.8, but I have crushed corals, I have some Cichlid buffer and even some Cichlid salt.

I also have a bunch of Escargot shells already bought (about 75) and I'm ready to get my hand on a lot of flat rocks to make caverns (or even make some in styrofoam + cement + let them cure). So yeah, I'm ready for anything, I just need suggestions ! ...as well as discovering new species I might like !

PS : My girlfriend has a little crush on the Pseudotropheus Saulosi, so any combination with them are more than welcome :) ...but feel free to give me other suggestions, even without Saulosis!

As for me, I have a crush on the pink one I posted, and on Aulonocaras

I know my tank size will limit me a lot and that I might end up with only some species only suggestion, but, let's see !!

EDIT 1 :

I wanted to add in the list of cichlids I love the look, I wanted to add Jewel Cichlid.

I read that they normally try to kill anyone when they breed, but I saw a video from Prime Time Aquatics on YT where he has a lot of them in a 40 Breeder.

So yeah, feel free to add them in your suggestions, I could also be tempted in a species only of that specie if I can get more than 2.

(Unless they dont eat their fry, and then they can live in harmony with their offspring and form a colony.)

EDIT 2 :

I also love the love of Geofagus Altifron (shape is similar of Rams, which I do love too!) - However I prefer when they keep that shape and dont develop the lump on their head!

So thanks in advance :)

See less See more
#29 ·
Okay thanks for the info.

So if I go with the Bricardis, I will keep them alone in their tank. How many should I get to start a colony, and what ratio ?

And if I go with with a community tank, do you have any suggestion of stocking that could include a few of these : Paracyps, Caudopunks, calvus and/or those calvus-shellies ?

#30 ·
For brichardi, start with six, rehome four and the pair will tolerate their own fry to fill the tank.

One pair of calvus (start with six, rehome four), six multifasciatus and six paracyps.

#34 ·
Hey, I'm not sure if your message was edited, but I couldn't read it. It appeared blank.

DJRansome said:
You would not do sumbu and altos in the same tank. You could do similis or caudo's instead of multis.
Okay, no sumbu.

So just to confirm, I could do the following ?

- 2 calvus (start with 6, when a pair is formed I rehome 4 remaining)
- 6 Caudos
- 6 Paracyps

If it's possible and not bad for the fishes, I think this would finally be my official stocking !

I might still have a few questions for the arrangement of caves/territories afterwards, and some tricks on how to know when a couple of Calvus is formed and when it's time to rehome the others.

But at least, if I have my final stocking decided it will be an amazing stef forward here haha

#35 ·
Also, would any variant of Calvus do ?

Or they have different behavior and size and a specific variant would be best ?

When we say to buy 6 and rehome 4, does this only apply when buying them small/juvenile, or could I do the same with adults that are fully grown ?

Also could Calvus be replaced by Comprissep, and would any variant do too ? Chaitika ?

Could I make a stocking combination with Calvus/Comprissep + Paracyps + Leleupi ?

#36 ·
I also found some other Tangs that I like and was wondering if any cool combination could be made with some of them in my tank size :

Neo Buesheri Kamakonde
Neo Longior Kekese (the dark orange ones with blue bottom fins)
Neo Longior (any all yellow variant)
Neo helianthus
Neo Mustax
Neo Falcicula Magara
Any Leleupi
Paracyps Brieni Kikonso
Paracips Nigripinis (any variant)
Any Calvus
Any Comprissep
Any Caudopunks

#37 ·
Okay, so I got some answers about the neos in my previous post on another forum and I believe I will stay with this stocking :

- 2 Calvus (buy 6, rehome 4)
- 6 Caudopunks
- 6 Paracyps

But I have some questions (Feel free to move this thread into the tanganyika section if it fits better and I might get more answers)

1. Will I absolutely have to rehome 4 calvus and just keep a pair, or it's possible they cohabit nicely with enough hiding ? Also, if I keep only one pair and they breed and their fry becomes bigger, can I keep them, or I should always rehome to keep only 2 ? Should I get them juvies or adults ? And when will I know I need to rehome some ?

2. I'd like the Calvus to be a contrasting colors compared to the Caudapunks and Paracyps. Parfacyps are salmon, yellowish-white and blue, and Caudopunks are white and yellow. What variant of Calvus or Compresseps could make a good contrast in your opinion ?

3. Any tips on how to setup territories ? I know they all need some kind of caves, but not the same kind. Like Paracyps like vertical stones that goes high with a overhang, but I'm not sure about the others. How big should the crevisses be for the Calvus, what kind of rocks for the Caudopunks, should I scatter all these types of caverns and rocks all around, or a certain style on one end, another on the other ?

4. I read alot about paracyps male needing a overhang to chill under. I have difficulties picturing this in my mind. Do you have any picture of setups that have a overhang ? Or tips on how to build them ?

Thanks!

#39 ·
1-You will be lucky if the calvus don't kill each other during the pair-forming process in a 36" tank. You will know when to remove victim fish when they are chased to the surface. They will eat their own fry if you don't remove them. Calvus fry are the hardest fry to raise that I have ever encountered. I've never seen calvus for sale larger than 1.5 inches.

2-I would choose black.

3-People use vertical slates for cyps and whelk shells for calvus and whale eye shells for caudopunctatus. You will end up with a pair of caudopunctatus as well, start with six and rehome four. I would do these on either side with open sand down the middle.

4-see #3

5-I would add calvus first, then caudopunctatus, then paracyps. Why not save the money and wait until you have enough for them all.

6-They do have impressive teeth but I have never been bitten by one.

#40 ·
DJRansome said:
1-You will be lucky if the calvus don't kill each other during the pair-forming process in a 36" tank. You will know when to remove victim fish when they are chased to the surface. They will eat their own fry if you don't remove them. Calvus fry are the hardest fry to raise that I have ever encountered. I've never seen calvus for sale larger than 1.5 inches.

2-I would choose black.

3-People use vertical slates for cyps and whelk shells for calvus and whale eye shells for caudopunctatus. You will end up with a pair of caudopunctatus as well, start with six and rehome four. I would do these on either side with open sand down the middle.

4-see #3

5-I would add calvus first, then caudopunctatus, then paracyps. Why not save the money and wait until you have enough for them all.

6-They do have impressive teeth but I have never been bitten by one.
1. Thanks. I will keep a steady eye on them. Does it usually take a while in between the moment where they cohabit and when a couple forms and chase the other ones ? When you say I'm lucky if they don't kill eachothers even before I separate them, would you advice against them in this tank ? Or just to be extra careful and quick to react ?

2. That could be nice! Are all variants the same size and behavior or they differ on some points other than color/patterns ?

3. Okay, will do the vertical slates for the cyps. Will try to find Whelk Shells too for the Calvus. If I put other caves too, could they also like them ? For the Caudopunctatus, I already have like 75 Big Escargot Shells that I ordered when I wanted to go with shellies. When I googled Whale Eye Shells, it seemed very similar. Could they like it too ? As for the rehome of the 4 other Caudopunctatus, is this for the same reason as the Calvus : They will kill each others once a pair is formed ? Will I know it's time to separate them the same way, by seeing them being chased to the surface ?

5. Okay, will do if I can't have the whole money. I haven't checked the prices yet so maybe I'll be able to buy them all at once too. If I can, I could put them in the tank at once ?

6. Alright. Is this because you're careful and move your hand out when they approach you when you're doing maintenance, or they mostly don't care ?

#41 ·
Also for #1 : Would all of this be the same with Comprisseps ? If you think the Calvus/Comprissep would be a bad idea, do you have another suggestion that would go with the other two ? I realy like Calvus for their look, but I could love any other fish that is a little bigger than the others with interesting colors or patterns. I could go with a single specimen if that'd help. I'd like to avoid Julies for now.

#42 ·
1-Calvus take forever to grow out. Many of the pairing fish have this behavior. calvus will work in a 36" tank. Same for caudos. You could probably swap the calvus/comps. Note that the colors on these fish are so subtle as to be invisible to the casual observer.
2-there are variants but the differences are very subtle.
3-Large whelk shells. You have a small tank...you probably need to decide on a theme (rocks or shells) and go with it. My calvus preferred the shells.
5-Cycle the tank first with ammonia. Allow six weeks. Then you can add them all at once.
6-the fish are more afraid of you than you are of them. They will hide.

#43 ·
Thanks again !

Another question now (lol, sorry) : do you think my aquarium, as well as the behavior of the species I'll have, will allow me some bottom dwellers like Xenotilapia Papilio or Phyllonemus Typus ?

I know nothing about those (but I think they look cute while scavenging the sand) - I pretty much just found out about them and was wondering if it was worth reading much on them.

#44 ·
Research first, ask only if the fish seems to be a fit for your tank and the tank mates you want. One thing to research is whether the fish is available for you to purchase. I have never seem the Phyllonemus for sale. Did you find a source for them?

You have shellies or caudos for the bottom...in a 36" tank you want one bottom dweller.

A 50" tank is recommended, larger is better, for the Xeno's. From cichlidae: Xenotilapia papilio is not an easy species to keep in the aquarium. It is a very territorial cichlid with a high level of intra-specific aggression and it becomes even more territorial when breeding,

#45 ·
Okay, thank you.

Indeed, I did not check if I had the source first. I'm in no hurry for my tank, so my initial plan was to find the stocking that would best fit tank and my tastes, and then ask around to see if I can find some. Maybe I should I've gotten the other way around, but I did not want to ask for breeders of this and this and this species before even knowing if they could fit.

I read a lot online on each species, but sometimes I prefer to ask questions on forums like here anyways because it's sometimes easier to get more specific answers, or answers on a specific stocking. Just an example, I read a little on the Xenotilapia Papilio, and on a French site that I found, it said it had a very calm temperament, that it was independant, didn't mind any other fishes, and was living in groups based on a hierarchy - Nothing said about their intra-species agression - But then you told me they were agressive and very territorial and I looked again but on English site and they say the same as you.

So I'm glad I asked, sometimes online researches can get us super hyped up on a species, and then people with experience can tell us why it wouldn't be a good idea.

The Xenos are very cute, but my tank is too small - And even if I had a bigger one, knowing I would have to choose only one bottom dweller I'd keep the Caudopunctatus.

So anyways, I think I have all the information I needed to get my official stocking, and it's in big part because of you so I wanted to thank you.

We went a long way, from Multis to Malawi's, to some heated discussion about Aquarium cruaulty to back to Tanganyikans !

Now it's time to aquascape (or rockscape) my tank while shopping breeders.

I have a specific question about Calvus and Compressicep, but I'll make a new thread in the Tang section, as I believe the Stocking question has been solved.

Thanks again to you, and to everyone who replied and helped me in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.