General African Cichlid Discussion • Picking Tank Mates

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Picking Tank Mates

Postby ddishon1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:48 pm

All, I am back to fish keeping after several years. I am wanting to setup a 55 gallon mbuna tank. I have the tank fishless cycling right now and picking out what I want. I was planning to get 20 fish to keep it slightly overstocked. I am running extra filtration on the tank will fine with weekly water changes.

First thought was to do what I did in the past and do a saulosi tank, but I cannot find them anywhere.

Current idea:
5 - yellow labs
5 - perlmutt
5 - yellow tail acei
5 - red top hongi

Open for other ideas to get a good color mix. Other thought was a peacock tank with about 12 peacocks. Not sure which peacocks I would get. Thoughts?
ddishon1

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Picking Tank Mates

Postby ddishon1 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:05 am

After looking further, It looks like I could do a similar look to saulosi if I do a yellow lab and demasoni. Thoughts on 6 yellow labs with 12-15 demasoni?
ddishon1

Postby shiftyfox » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:52 am

Your first post not a good mix as x3 labidochromis species, second suggestion of dems and labs sounds better.
shiftyfox

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 am

For all male think in terms of 10 adults with no look-alike fish. Hard to do with peacocks only because there is red, yellow blue and not a whole lot of others that look completely different (from the perspective of the fish). Also a 75G 48x18 works better for all-male.

20 fish would be good if your tank was 48x18 but a 55G is 48x12. Shoot for 15 fish that mature <+ six inches and are more peaceful than aggressive if you are doing mixed gender. This gives you a good level of overstocking to manage aggression without crowding the fish so much that natural behaviors disappear.

Three species works well since you want 4 females for every male. Skip acei since they are better in a larger tank.

Demasoni are harder to keep healthy than saulosi and require more work for a longer period of time so choose them if you are 110% committed to make them work no matter what. 12 demasoni (after removing extra males) and 3 labs would be good numbers for a 55G.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion