Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Do females ever spit sand?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  aconite 
#1 ·
The largest fish in my sauolsi tank is about 2" long and appears to be a female - still a solid golden yellow/orange, with no hint of any colour change. Over the last couple of days this fish has been clearing a nest area under one of the rocks by spitting sand. I've seen other male mbuna do this, but never seen a female behave this way.

Do females make nests? Or just clear caves in general? Or could this be a male that hasn't started changing colour? There is a smaller fish in the tank that is just getting some blue along his dorsal fin and some banding across the top of his head, along with some changes to his body colour. He has a golden egg spot, whereas the larger fish doesn't. There are 12 juveniles in the tank, with these two being the biggest of them.

#5 ·
I hadn't seen it in my other tank either, but that tank has males that are clearly in charge of things.

I suspect it's happening here because this particular fish is the biggest and is laying claim to territory. She's pretty much in charge of the tank at the moment, and has chosen a cave to hang out in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.